Any Good Books on the subject of Irish business and business people etc.?

Irish Guru

I recently went looking for a good book on the subject of Irish business and business people etc.

A book called "Grabbing The Oyster" was recommended to me and it was quite good.

I went looking for another book on Irish business in Easons this afternoon and found very few other than books by Bill Cullen and Brody Sweeney which I have read and found to be rather poor.

My question is does anyone have some recommendations for the best read on this subject or do we have to rely on stories from UK?

I would prefer an all round look at people and businesses rather than biographies etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Any Good Books?

Thanks for that.

I found another really good book on business called 'The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People' by a guy called Stephen Covey. Admittedly it is not about Irish business but good none the less. It covers some of the same stuff as 'Grabbing The Oyster' although GTO is for me a better read because of the Irish angle and Irish stories.

I also found a book called Achievers by Ivor Kenny which is good if a little out of date.
Here is the first five in My Top Ten: Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated

1) Grabbing The Oyster:Anecdotes And Advice From Icons Of Irish Business- by Pearce Flannery
2) Achievers- By Ivor Kenny
3) Seven Habits of highly Effective People- by Stephen Covey
4) Making Bread - By Brody Sweeney
5) Star - By Will McKee

Re: Any Good Books?

Thanks for that.

I found another really good book on business called 'The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People'

I found this an extremely heavy read and never finished it.

One Im looking at reading next is "Who Moved My Cheese", meant to be excellent.

There are a couple of good reads out there and a perfect one is "That'll Never Work", success stories from private irish business that covers stories relating to the success of Treasury Holdings, Aer Arann, Celtic Bookmakers Smarthomes etc. The great thing about each story is that it is written/told by the founder of the company. Each tale is about 10-20 pages long and is quite captivating. It is relatively new and quite fresh.

The other few that spring to mind is Frank McDonalds book on The Builders, though not specifically about Business it does reveal how the business of properpty development works and goes through all the major players (Liam Carroll, Johnny Rohan, Bernard McNamara etc.). Interesting perspective and quite up to date too.

I would definitely consider the books on Michael O'Leary and Ryanair as they are compelling reading and the vignettes into his personality and robust approach are worth it. There are two on the market one by Alan Ruddock and the other by Siobhan Creaton.

Another old chestnut by the grandfather of Irish business (at this stage, anyway) is Crowning the Customer by Fergal Quinn. He did get out of Superquinn at a great time and the principles that brought him to that stage are outlined in this compact and fab book.

Hope this helps....

It seems strange but I have read most of the books mentioned. Suggests that I need to get out more!

There is a book called The Unsinkable Entrepreneur by a sailor called Enda Conneen from Galway. It is interesting because it is his story and involves his personality. It also tells the story of how he made his money. Not Bad.

"That Will Never Work" is along the same lines as Grabbing The Oyster. Both cover current Irish businesses. I think that Grabbing The Oyster is far better because it is new and up to date. It covers some of the stories of our best business peoplke and also gives guidance as to what to do when setting up a business. It was recommended to me by the Enterprise Board and it certainly helped me focus my mind. I dont think it is written by any one person. I think it is a group effort by a number successful Irish business people because all the profits are going to Childline. It is easily the best I have read and even better it is not lining the pockets of some already filthy rich ego driven businessman. ( I must confess it got it in the library so I guess that makes me a hypocrit.)

Some of the others are simply told by people with their minds in another era, although Feargal Quinns book is relevant now more than ever. Customer care is king!

Bill Cullens books are just a way for him to talk about how great he is, Brody Sweeneys book is also for a charity so it might be woth looking at for this reason alone.

If you are only going to buy one book then buy Grabbing The Oyster.

I am going to go and get myself a life now!!

I have just finished another which is really excellent. Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy. Highly Recommended.

Back