Any comeback on a second hand car?

Greg Barry

I bought a Saab privately in October 08 and have had a lot of problems with it recently. I have just been told today that I will have to get a replacement engine! I was just wondering is this a let the buyer beware case or do I have any comeback?

It depends. As the person you bought the car off isnt in the business of selling cars you are at an automatic disadvantage vis a vis consumer law protection.

There is however an implied condition under s13 Sale of Goods Supply of Services Act 1980 that the sale of a car (whether privately or otherwise), that at the time of delivery, it is free from any defect which renders it a danger to you or others. Now bearing in mind you bought the car in Oct and it's now March is an issue...it really boils down to the facts and circumstances.

You need professional advice including a mechanic's opinion to give you a definite answer. Factor in the cost/inconvenience V value of car and come to a decision.

On the face of it it seems improbable you have any comeback.

It's not just a question of liability - Even if the seller is liable, it may be very, very difficult to enforce a judgement and get your cash.

Buyer beware.

How old is the car ? What necessitated the engine replacement ? That MAY have some bearing if it was something that DEFINITELY was apparent to the previous owner when you bought it. Maybe not though as the onus is on you to be sure what your money goes on. It WAS second-hand after all.

You bought car 5 month ago,most likely on sold as seen basis.
Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) im afraid

Back