Any advice on these parts of south Dublin?

GL01

We have started searching for a new house and we're focusing on the following areas as they are near enough to family. We have a new baby and are planning on expanding our family in the coming years so our priorities are the proximity of good schools and amenities, and ideally a nice community of young families like ourselves.

If anyone lives in, or has any feedback on, the following areas I would be really grateful.

Holywell, Goatstown
- seems like a nice neighbourhood, lots of young families. Close to luas and schools.

Ballintyre, Ballinteer
- as above, lots of young families. Creche, schools, Superquinn, 14 and 16 bus all close by. SLight concerns about parking as the 3 beds are only given 1 designated space. There are 'blank' spaces for a second car apparently.

Carrickmines Chase
- a bit further than we wanted from town but a great house in what feels like quite an exclusive area. The luas is a walk away as are creche and school in The Park.

Grangefield, Ballinteer
- small development, just behind Ballintyre so same amenities.

Lakelands, Stillorgan
- very established area, quite a good house available in terms of internal upgrade but perhaps the neighbourhood is full of older people and therefore very quiet. Close to luas and schools.

Stillorgan Wood
- quite exclusive. Close to luas and schools as above.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on how much of a stretch you're going to be making purchasing the house, I'd avoid estates where there are service charges so that probably leaves you with Holywell and Lakelands.

Lakelands always struck me as decent enough though I'd have thought there were nicer areas close by for similar prices.

In what way are you struck Tarfhead?

Do you mean it as a virtue or as a condemnation ?

What one may term 'exclusive' is what another may term 'pricey', or what yet another may term 'materialistic'.

Thanks Dereko1969 for the feedback. I know there is a service charge in Ballintyre but didn't realise there was in the other places? I would have thought that info should be given upfront in the advertising of the property. Thanks for the heads up.

Tarfhead, in terms of an investment, I mean it as a virtue.

Stillorgan Wood - excellent location, walking distance to the first Shopping Centre in Ireland, lots of schools, churches and most importantly, public transport. Mix of owners at the moment, initial buyers when estate was first built (circe 1980, I think) would be grandparent age now, however, there has been lots of turnover through the years. After that, Lakelands, which is also near to all of the facilities mentioned above.

Thanks Dereko1969 for the feedback. I know there is a service charge in Ballintyre but didn't realise there was in the other places? I would have thought that info should be given upfront in the advertising of the property. Thanks for the heads up.

Tarfhead, in terms of an investment, I mean it as a virtue.

I'm not certain of the other places, just from memory some of them are more recent-ish developments so would be more likely to have service charges.

Holywell is as you said.
lakelands (Lived there in old days) are good size houses, but if ure at the back of the estate, you would need a car as its a good walk out and then there is really no bus service on upper kilmacud rd, and not a great one on lr kilmacud rd, so you might have to go to stillorgan for busses.. or around the back to the luas which is nearer.
good for kids and schools. stollorgan wood is more convenient - its connected by laneway to lakelands.

Once you are close to LUAS you'll wonder how you lived without it. Well worth the extra premium to be walking distance to LUAS.
Also walking distance to a good S.C. is worth paying for.

So, either S.Woods or Holywell. Marginally,Lakelands which do have bigger ,but slightly ageing, houses.

Ballintyre, Ballinteer
- as above, lots of young families. Creche, schools, Superquinn, 14 and 16 bus all close by. SLight concerns about parking as the 3 beds are only given 1 designated space. There are 'blank' spaces for a second car apparently.

Grangefield, Ballinteer
- small development, just behind Ballintyre so same amenities.

Any reason why you're limiting your Ballinteer options to those particular two estates? Lots of nice options in The Heathers, Woodpark, old Ballinteer, Clonlea, Clonlea Wood, College Park etc.

If you have young kids, go for a cul-de-sac, where the kids can safely play with minimal traffic.

Just mentioned those two Complainer because we happened to see houses for sale there.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I think Stillorgan Wood is our preference overall. We just missed one that was within our range. Drove by at the weekend and they were filling a skip outside it!

Stillorgan wood - shortcut to Luas

Hi there
We were also looking at Stillorgan Wood, but thought that it would be quite a long walk to the Luas because you have to walk all the way back to the entrance to walk up to the Luas at Sandyford.

Is there a pedestrian shortcut from Stillorgan Wood to the Luas that I don't know about?

Stillorgan wood

there is a side entrance to Lakelands in the estate but not to the luas. It's about a 10 minute walk and 5 mins by bike (there are plenty of bicycle racks at luas stop though). Also the no. 47 bus passes at the side of the estate (opposite St raphaelas). The aircoach passes this stop too.

Back