Anti Social Behaviour

A

alandd

Hi
I am currently building a house in a rural area, 2 miles from the village down a country road/lane etc

However we noticed some anti social behaviour i.e. drug dealing,drinking etc (kids about 18-20). They drive down late at nite (local drug dealer) and carry out there transactions

its a remote cul de sac, with elderly people living at the end..

I have spoke to the local guard and he is aware of the carry on, he has moved them on from other locations around the village before....and it stopped for a month or so, they
are back now, so will get on to the guard again.

but any other suggestions on how to deal with this, basically get them out.

How do i scare them off, my wife wouldn't let me confront them which is understandable,

Do i stick up signs or keep hassling the guard to take action..

I know what i'd like to do, but that involves a baseball bat:)

I'd be careful about confronting the thugs if i was you, especially on your own! Sometimes you could end up the worse for wear or even dead as some people find out. Knives are plentiful!
Can you get any more like minded people together and start up a community scheme (neighbourhood watch)? If i was you i'd keep on the Gardai's case. Its their job at the end of the day!
If you know any of these people , all you might have to do is walk by and give an unapproving frown! These lads/lasses might leggit if they thought you'd tell their parents of their activities!

...or the parents might be worse..? :rolleyes

I took that route once, a few years back, and it proved to be worse than counter-productive. And the local Gárdaí were worse than useless, I'm sorry to say.

It would of course be illegal to drive by one night in a 'strange' car (with the number plates temporarily obscured) and a balaclava helmet, and take (or pretend to take) photographs of them... so I'm afraid I can't recommend such a course of action. >D

I would've thought that in rural areas most of the parents of kids participating in anti-social behaviour would be oblivious to the fact and would go mad at their kids if they found out!
Usually its one a**hole who influences the unassuming youth of a rural area! Big difference than in a city area! Depends on how rural the place actually is!
P.S. If you're going to go to the bother of driving up in strange car with muddied plates and a balaclava you may as well go the whole hog and get out with the baseball bat instead of using a camera. Whats that going to do? Blind them with a flash!?

ASBO's

Wouldn't it be great if we had ASBO's (Anti-Social Behaviour Orders) like they have in the UK? But no, the do-gooders are in yesterday's Indo saying how this would infringe on children's rights!

What about the rights of the rest of us? My friend just bought a house to renovate and let. The other night a hoard of teenagers from a 'deprived' area in the town descended on the property and proceeded to break in and smash windows. The man in the neighbouring property, which also belongs to my friend, went out to remonstrate with them and was told it was none of his f'n business and was promptly showered with bricks and stones breaking his living room window and terrifying his wife and child inside.

My friend call the Gardai who said they know exactly who these teenagers are but, if they go to the parents they are told to F off and they cannot arrest them as they are all underage.

So what does a law abiding person do to protect their property?

On teenagers gathering to drink and deal drugs etc. - another friend had a similar problem as her house was an end house near a green area with trees, again the guards said there was nothing they could do to move them on.

Her husband got together a few of his burly friends and every time the teenagers gathered to have a few cans and smoke a bit of weed, this guy and his mates joined them! They sat near them on the low wall, brought their own beers and smiled at them really friendly like and asked them what's the craic? The teenagers didn't want these old fellas listening in to what they were doing as they were cramping their style and after about 3 or 4 nights, they moved on!

This, however, only proves to displace the problem rather than solving it, but at least she got them away from her house without any violence.

Re: ASBO's

Its rather ironic and amusing to see people on this website matter-of-factly discussing the option of putting on a balaclava and picking up a baseball bat to solve their neighbourhood thug problem, when the very same posters go into paroxysms of indignant rage at the mention of neighbourhood policing by the likes of Sinn Fein.

More hypocrisy.

Its fun monopolising the moral high ground - until you actually become a victim.
Then, when the Gardai have abandoned you to your fate, and you realise that the yobs are better protected under law than you are - thats when a little reality begins to dawn, and many people are soon glad there is someone out there (with or without a balaclava) they can turn to to resolve their problems.

Its rather ironic and amusing to see people on this website matter-of-factly discussing the option of putting on a balaclava and picking up a baseball bat to solve their neighbourhood thug problem, when the very same posters go into paroxysms of indignant rage at the mention of neighbourhood policing by the likes of Sinn Fein.

More hypocrisy.

"People on this website"? You mean two people in this specific topic? Do you know for sure that either or both of them raged against SF vigilante actions in the past? If not then where's the hypocrisy even if many people (including myself) would strongly disagree with anybody taking the law into their own hands. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good generalised rant against AAM though. :rolleyes

Yeah? Well nobody got overly excited at the idea either.

The fact is that when people are driven to their wits end and the State does nothing to help them...they're glad of any help they can get.

But then again ClubMan, when you live in Dublin 4 you wouldn't know much about the realities of life on a council estate.

But then again ClubMan, when you live in Dublin 4 you wouldn't know much about the realities of life on a council estate.

Wrong - as usual. If you'd been paying attention you'd have seen earlier.

I wasn't referring to you mate, I meant Michael McDowell and his PD buddies. And living Anywhere on Dublin Southside disqualifies from credible comment on vigilantiism in NI ghettoes or Northside council estates...not just D4.

Thanks for all the replies,
The cops said they will sort this out, I keep hassling them...

I passed the car registrations etc on to the cops, who know them. The main culprit is the local drug dealer and his side kick. I will give the cops another month to sort it out....any them maybe look at ways of dealing with this myself....

There are no neigbours as such (withing a mile), so i don't want the retards doing the drugs to know it is me reporting them to the cops...

I still favour a cavity brick through there car window
:)

Vigilante

Yeah? Well nobody got overly excited at the idea either.

Perhaps nobody got excited about it because there was nothing to get excited about. Nobody on this thread advocated a vigilante solution.

alandd said:
I know what i'd like to do, but that involves a baseball bat

Dr Moriarty said:
It would of course be illegal to drive by one night in a 'strange' car (with the number plates temporarily obscured) and a balaclava helmet, and take (or pretend to take) photographs of them... so I'm afraid I can't recommend such a course of action.

Alandd clearly understands the difference between wanting to do something and actually taking the law into his own hands. No reason to challenge him, we all feel like that from time to time, but are responsible enough not to.

As for Dr Moriarty, apart from the obscured number plates there's nothing illegal in his suggestion. He's suggesting that you create a show that might lead the drug dealers to believe that "subversives" were on to them. He didn't advocate directly challenging or attacking anyone.

Of course the only flaw in Dr Moriarty's suggestion is that if subversives were involved they'd be more likely to "Licence" the dealers and get them to pay a toll than actually move them on.

-Rd

Re: Vigilante

Nobody on this thread advocated a vigilante solution.
Carrying a baseball bat while wearing a balaclava in a car whose number plates are obscured will get you arrested in most parts of the world. So will 'putting a cavity brick through there car window'. Whats your definition of a vigilante?
Don't be dumb.

As to the 'licensing' of druggies...you've been swallowing everything McDowell says, haven't you.

Alandd clearly understands the difference between wanting to do something and actually taking the law into his own hands. No reason to challenge him, we all feel like that from time to time, but are responsible enough not to.
Given enough time and provocation the notion tends to grow.

Carrying a baseball bat while wearing a balaclava in a car whose number plates are obscured will get you arrested in most parts of the world. So will 'putting a cavity brick through there car window'. Whats your definition of a vigilante?
Don't be dumb.

Read the thread again, you're mixing up two peoples posts. Dr Moriatiry never mentioned a Baseball Bat. He simply suggested taking photographs, which is still legal as far as I know.

As to the 'licensing' of druggies...you've been swallowing everything McDowell says, haven't you.

Far from it I got that from "A Republican Comentator"
You won't have to look far to find my attitude to McDowell.
But just to be clear, are you saying that Licencing dealers doesn't happen?

Let's get back to the point. There's no hypocrisy here. there are no posters on AAM who are advocating Vigilante solutions, while at the same time criticising SF/IRA for taking the law into their own hands.

Your comment:

Was wide of the mark.

Even if in some isolated cases vigilante's can have an effect. We can see from the fact that someone can have their throat cut in front of a crowd of 50 to 70 people without anyone coming forward that It's not a form of policing that leads anywhere good.

My advice to the original poster would be to give the Gardai 1 month, then contact the media and ask them if they'd like to do a story on open drug dealing that the Gardai can't seem to do anything about.
[/quote]

I think contacting the local media could be an idea here alright.

Also, have you spoken with your local councillors / TDs about the issue ? Surely one of them could rattle a few cages for the local Gardai, and get them to focus their mind on their job.

"Also, have you spoken with your local councillors / TDs about the issue ? Surely one of them could rattle a few cages for the local Gardai, and get them to focus their mind on their job."

How? Why? Is there an election coming up?

Read the thread again, you're mixing up two peoples posts. Dr Moriatiry never mentioned a Baseball Bat. He simply suggested taking photographs, which is still legal as far as I know.
Now you're really taking the piss. A balaclavas OK if you aren't carrying a baseball bat? Or maybe its not...if your licence number is obscured. On the other hand, if you have no balaclava but put a brick through his window while driving a car with its licence obscured then you're out of order....unless you take a photo, then its OK.
What is this? Mix'n'match vigilante etiquette?

But just to be clear, are you saying that Licencing dealers doesn't happen?
Oh No....it happens alright. The Loyalists are ALL into it...and prostitution too.

The Republicans stick to cigarette smuggling, DVD/Video piracy and Diesel washing.

Your sources (unnamed of course!) are lying.

And the McCartney murder had nothing to do with the IRA or vigilantiism. It was a fight between personal enemies. Thats why Gerry Adams told the culprits to own up to it and that their actions were not acceptable to republicans.

And the McCartney murder had nothing to do with the IRA or vigilantiism. It was a fight between personal enemies. Thats why Gerry Adams told the culprits to own up to it and that their actions were not acceptable to republicans.

Yeah - that sort of carry on is only acceptable to republicans (good to see that you used a lower case "r" there) when it involves Gardaí intercepting volunteers robbing banks or housewives giving humanitarian aid to "the enemy".

This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language happens in war.
The wars over now.
Gotta move with the times, ya know?

Back