Another taxi scam: letting meter running after account fare had left.

Bob_tg

Following on from this: Taxi Drivers and the new fare structure, I have just heard about another scam related to taxi "account" work. Here's how it goes...

When a taxi is used by a company on account (i.e. not for cash payment), after the journey has ended the taxi driver does not terminate the meter for another few minutes after the passenger has left the car. They either sit in the drop-off spot or drive just around the corner and let the meter continue to run for a few minutes until they've racked up another euro or two on the fare. They don't drive away too far, as the GPS system will then pick up that they've left drop-off the area (and thus get sussed by their radio base.

So the lesson is if you don't want your company to get ripped off, insist on a receipt and hand them in to your accounts dept. to reconcile.

Re: Another taxi scam

So the lesson is if you don't want your company to get ripped off, insist on a receipt and hand them in to your accounts dept. to reconcile.
The simpler and more obvious solution is for the passenger to ensure that the amount on the meter is entered on the account book before the passenger signs for the journey. The drivers used to often leave this amount blank, but I find that the NRC drivers generally fill in the amount now. If not, I simply check the amount before signing the book.

The book is used when generating the bills to the customer.

Re: Another taxi scam

Over the Christmas my son and two of his workmates, one male one female, stood at a taxi rank and got a taxi.

They asked the <> driver to take them to City West where they all live.

The driver took off and started driving very very slowly and said that he didn't want to go to City West, it was too far. They asked him was he refusing the fare and he started making excuses about having a sick stomach and not being able to drive on a long journey. He started by driving toward O'Connell Street which was in the opposite direction, again driving very slowly. He kept saying that he didn't want to go to City West. Eventually out of frustration they asked him to drop them to Thomas Street where they knew they would get another taxi returning back from a fare.

He asked them for €15, apparently this was on the meter. They said no way were they paying him anything, it was raining outside and this guy had refused their fare. The female passenger was getting upset by all of this and offered to pay the €15. The two lads said no way but in the end offered him €5. My son insisted on a receipt that has a number on it.

Should he complain?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always insist on a receipt! If you have any complaints, or left something behind in the tax, a receipt will certainly help! AFAIK by law they are all supposed to be issuing printed receipts!

first question to ask the taxi driver before he moves is will he be able to issue you a printed reciept at the end of the journey , if the answer is no, get out! to late at the end of the journey to be listening to(ahh sorry the printer's not workin) your entitled to a receipt its the law! €250 on the spot fine for a taxi driver found with a printer not working, if you feel akward about asking just say its for your job and they only accept printed receipts,

first question to ask the taxi driver before he moves is will he be able to issue you a printed reciept at the end of the journey , if the answer is no, get out! to late at the end of the journey to be listening to(ahh sorry the printer's not workin) your entitled to a receipt its the law! €250 on the spot fine for a taxi driver found with a printer not working, if you feel akward about asking just say its for your job and they only accept printed receipts,

a driver is also allowed issue you with a signed written receipt if the printer stops working during a shift or the punter and the driver agree before hand iirc

if that does ever happen, no biggie, just get their roof sign number, reg number and ensure that the correspond to the written receipt.

after all if th fare is correct then theres no harm done.

Back