Another huge ESB bill!

hi, I got a big esb bill this week, just found this discussion and would like to ask if anyone has had an experience like mine that they actually got to the bottom of?
I have been renting a three bed house with my girlfriend since feb 08, the first few esb bills seemed normal but the latest one is for €625!! we use all the usual stuff tv,wm,tumble dryer ect. and the emersion {emersion 60 - 90 mins a day} my problem is that {as far as i can see} our electricity consumption has'nt really changed since we moved in. ie. our bills - jun08 = €171, aug08 = €178, oct08 = €212, dec08 = €266, mar09 = €625. our meter is read for every second bill so it's not a case of being underestimated for a long period of time. I have spoken to the esb and they say my meter reading = €625. I checked the meter by turning everything off and the disc did stop turning. any suggestions welcome

Hi all, iv read this post with great interest. I acually posted on another thread about my esb bill. Our bills (everyone in complex) have been high since we moved in 5 years ago. But my last bill was 798e the same bill last year was 460e. The bills seem to have been going up over the last year, but the last 2 have realy jumped. 3 bed house in apartment complex, 6 in house. All electric, and those bloody storage heaters x 3 ( i hate them) never use boost. We never use the panel heaters in bedrooms even tho rooms are freezing!!! water is timed to come at 4am and off at 7am, never boosted or topped up. Have a dryer that is used maybe 4 times a month.
Dishwasher and washing machine on at night and maybe twice a week in the day.
I think i am using the storage heaters right ( never got manual)
but just to be sure can someone explain in very simple terms on the right way to use storage heaters.

Hi all, iv read this post with great interest. I acually posted on another thread about my esb bill. Our bills (everyone in complex) have been high since we moved in 5 years ago. But my last bill was 798e the same bill last year was 460e. The bills seem to have been going up over the last year, but the last 2 have realy jumped. 3 bed house in apartment complex, 6 in house. All electric, and those bloody storage heaters x 3 ( i hate them) never use boost. We never use the panel heaters in bedrooms even tho rooms are freezing!!! water is timed to come at 4am and off at 7am, never boosted or topped up. Have a dryer that is used maybe 4 times a month.
Dishwasher and washing machine on at night and maybe twice a week in the day.
I think i am using the storage heaters right ( never got manual)
but just to be sure can someone explain in very simple terms on the right way to use storage heaters.

This link might be helpful in relation to the use of storage heaters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_heater

See also some of my previous posts in relation to high bills. Again, any previous estimated bills in the last few ones you got? How many days in the present bill? (Normally the billing period is 60 odd days but some winter bills can be 70+). Factor in also the fact the prices went up 17% in August and that we have just been through the coldest winter in years resulting in higher usage than normal for most customers.

I wonder about heating the water for three hours. Surely, one should be more than enough?

Regards,

Fnergg

Thanks Fnergg, as always a great help.
Must compare the amount of days on bill. Iv never had an
estimated bill. Im going to reduce the timer to 1 hour for water and see how it goes.
Thanks again.

hi,
Just found this forum and was hoping someone could help.My esb bill is usually around 55 euro's but this one is 96 euro's. The only difference in usage for last 2 months is that i now use a desktop instead of a laptop(never used battery just plugged it in).

Would a desktop really use up that much electricity? I would really appreciate any responses.

Thanks
Paddyk

Would a desktop really use up that much electricity? I would really appreciate any responses.

While a desktop might use in the region of three times that of a laptop, it's very unlikely to more than double your overall electricity usage!

That €41 increase is around 240kWh! Were you getting estimated bills?
Leo

I think people have to realise that we've had the coldest winter for decades. I've certainly not seen temps as low and for as long as this winter. Apart from everything needing to be heated for longer than normal, we've all been indoors for longer than usual, so your using everything more than usual.

But allowing for that there can always be something thats drawing more electricity than normal. So the check to see whats causing it is a great suggestion.

That is definately wrong, storage heaters are really inefficient but it sound like someone else is using your energy

Back