Another debt disaster

Well done on your perseverance and paying off the debts. Reading through the thread the debt seemed overwhelming and you had to live a very frugal lifestyle just to tread water which is hard month after month.

Fair play. Hats off to you both.
Sounds like a long road but you kept at it and you should be proud.

Next step is share this experience with your children so they never find themselves in the same situation.

I wish I shared your optimism @Fester1 , I don't trust Cabot Financial (Ireland) Limited though. They recently purport to have accepted a settlement from me on a loan which I took out in 2007 to finance a car, to get to work. It seems the biggest mistake I made, was to work at all. Cabot hounded me with letters in 2015, and at that time I was paying EDF (trading as link financial), MABS, Credit union special accounts. MABS tell me recently that they closed ALL special accounts? Cabot Financial (Ireland) Limited sent me an email; "closed as settled" however, attached to that email, is a letter with an Outstanding Account Balance, and not of 0.00. There is no clarity with regards the figures, the amount "forgiven" the amount repaid etc.

They also purport to have reported to the CCR. That I will believe when I see an actual credit report, which has not been manifest, despite several applications.

Back