Annoyed with BUPA, can I ditch them mid year and get a refund?

ajapale

Can I ditch BUPA and get a pro rata refund for the remainder of the year?

I remember a few years doing something like this with car insurance.

I was with BUPA until I got married a few years ago and my wife's company automatically paid for my health insurance.

There was a couple of months left on the BUPA policy and when I cancelled with them, I got a refund no problem whatsoever.

they will cancel the pol from when ever you want and refund you on a pro-rata basis... if u have paid for 12 months up front and there are 8 month left till the next renewal,you will get 8/12's back from them...

It might be as well to let it run as the cover on the new policy will not cut in for a few months.

It might be as well to let it run as the cover on the new policy will not cut in for a few months.
I thought anyone transfering from Bupa at the moment will be covered instantly on transfer by either Vhi or Vivas. It's only people who haven't had health insurance before that have the waiting period.

Yes - if you have already served any "waiting period" with one private health insurer then when you transfer to another you are automatically fully covered with the new one.

Vhi or vivas will take into account the time spent with bupa - ie normal waiting period for under 65 is 6 months, pre exisitng waiting period for under 65 is 5 years and maternity is 1 year...

If you were with bupa for 5 years, you should be covered immediately upon transfer - If you upgrade your cover with the new insurer you may have the upgrade waiting period which is 2 years.....

Thanks everyone for the information.

I have been with BUPA for the last 5 years and with VHI for 25+ years before that.

I remain worried that BUPA will not be in a position to expedite claims especially with a demotivated staff.
I dont like the plaintiff self serving tone of BUPA's correspondance with me over the last few years.

I have always found BUPA to be very efficient in dealing with queries and claims. I rang them last week to add a new child to my policy, the call took 30 seconds and the new policy certificate came through my letter box 2 days later. Unfortunately, thanks to the Minister for Chips, I will have to pay more for the same level of cover for my family when my policy expires.

Back