Anglo deposit mistake

philipb

We had a savings account with Anglo for a couple of years, to which we made regular monthly deposits. Due to falling interest rates (and general despair at the Anglo situation) I closed it earlier this year. Anglo transferred the balance to another bank account.
Now, a few months later, Anglo has written to us pointing out that 200 euro was mistakenly deposited to the original account last year from another source. We never realised this at the time but can now see that it did happen. Anyway, Anglo have written to us saying they want the 200 back.
I'm guessing that we are legally and morally obliged to send them a cheque... but it is Anglo... Any suggestions? Thanks

OK, I work for a bank, but my memory on this type of thing is very hazy. As far as I remember if its within the first calendar month then the bank has the legal right to take the money back off you provided they advise you in writing why they have done so. I believe that after this time even if the account were still open they would be unable to debit the money without your permission. I'm very hazy on the legal situation, but I know in the bank where I work, if there was little prospect of getting the money back, and it was genuine bank error then we would have just written the funds off. But please don't blame me if Anglo take a tougher stance!!

In the last few months I had a situation where Anglo lodged €12k plus not belonging to a company into a bank account. The company closed bank account not realising extra money in the account .At accounts preparation time no one could find a source for the lodgement. Went to Anglo to find source, turns out money put in wrong account and belong to some one else. Now sent a letter looking for it back. If we never queried it, It would have never come to light. The company will give money back as it has enough funds. At end of day better off be honest

With respect whether it involves Anglo or not isn't really relevant, the very fact that you are asking what to do should confirm to yourself that you're not really that keen to retain what is not yours, send it back, at the end of the day it is e200 and will not make or break you, I would not make any deductions.

Ok, cheque sent. On the day that Anglo gets an extra 2 billion from the government. Hope they deposit that correctly...

I remember once that the revenue office by mistake put 1200 Euro into my account. When they asked them back I had no choice but say "yes"... :)

Back