Android phone battery drain

TarfHead

Posting this in the hope someone had a similar experience and knows how to get around it.

I have had a SONY phone for about a year and all has been OK. Last week I was prompted to, and took, an Android (4.4) update. Since then battery life has declined dramatically. With no change in phone usage, a full charge in the morning lasts 'til late afternoon. Previously, I would not need to re-charge 'til after getting home from work.

I did some Googling and it seems that Google Play Services is the culprit. On my phone it shows as having consumed over 70% of battery power.

A short-term solution seems to be to switch off Location Services, but I am wondering if anyone here is aware of a different solution ? For instance, is it possible to back out the last update ?

The update is not always the bandit - it's the junkware that comes with it.

Try using Cleanmaster for android.
May or may not work on your sony. I am sure there is an equivalent out there if it doesn't.
You would be amazed at the amount of 'apps' that lurk in the background
of your phone that consume power, data storage and memory, not to mention the amount of 'sharing'
of your location data and the like back to their servers.

A good cleaning app will tell you what you can remove safely. That is, will not affect the core functions of the phone.
Even before you get a cleaning app - have a look at all your apps and get rid of the ones that you don't use.

Thanks
Turned off Location Services. Phone charged at 100% this morning. 4 hours later, it is at 86%. Looks like Location Services is the problem.

Location services are definitely a huge drain on resources but your initial thoughts regarding the OS update probably weren't too far off the mark. If the new version isn't as well optimised then it can play havoc. Normally takes them a couple of iterations to iron out the creases.

You could try the Battery Drain Analyzer app to determine what is using the battery.

... not to mention the amount of 'sharing'
of your location data and the like back to their servers. ...

... Looks like Location Services is the problem.
I don't agree. See @itsallwrong's post above.

The problem is more than likely rogue apps, uninvited guests, making constant use of Location Services. "Free" apps are not usually free; their cost is in the ads they flash up and their use of space and other resources on our phone.

The old software rule used to be "never install a .0 release or an even numbered one; wait for the .1 and other unevenly numbered releases for trouble-free computing".

I don't agree. See @itsallwrong's post above.

The problem is more than likely rogue apps

A day later, with Location Services still set to 'Off', battery life is probably better than it was before the Android update. Maybe removing 'rogue' apps would help further, but actioning Location Services has me better off.

Back