Andorra

tom3

we are thinking of going to Andorra for a few days next summer. Hubby and two kids(10 & 8). Anybody recommend a nice place to stay also activities, restaurants etc.

Hummm.. Andorra in Summer ? Well, the main activity is hillwalking, plus some more hill-walking and the occassional bit of hill-walking.
Until a couple of years ago Andorra was dead dead in Summer with a few hill-walkers who liked the relative emptiness of the place and the very high peaks all around -mainly the northern part - becomes flatter heading south.
Now a few companies have added mountain-biking and adventure activities (canyoning,abseiling etc).

So, unless you're into that sporty fitness thing I'm unsure if you'd really like Andorra - no real historic or pretty villages ( though that's a personal view). It's not that close to an airport -Perpignan, Barcelona or Girona which are all closer to mountains, scenery,seaside and many pretty and historic towns and villages on either side of the border. (Plus you can visit Andorra on a long day trip from these places.)

However, I'm prejudiced and maybe you should contact www. hola-andorra.com who offer all sorts of accommodation and activities.

There are 3 SPORT HOTELS in Soldeu, Andorra. You could check website or sporthotels. (when you go in to website they give a list of activities for kids , horseriding, golf , swimming etc)I think all 3 hotels are excellent, and they are inexpensive during the summer, current site just gives winter prices. There are good restaurants in Andorra la Vella-the capital, which is 20mins bus journey from Soldeu.Cant remember names at the moment but I may be back there in february and will check names for you.

Andorra really is a place to go in winter. It can be extreamly hot in summer, so make sure you accommodation has a pool. And to be honest- its pretty, but not that exciting. But if you make it your base and are willing to do a little driving,there are lots of towns near by in France that have good things to do. There are thermal baths in Ax-les-Therme, a dinosaur museum in Couiza.. . and lots and lots of great hikes.

I have just come back from a week of skiing in Andorra.

I can only imagine the how beautiful the scenary is in the summer; I was up on top of one of the mountain passes and you could see for miles spectacular scenary; I would say it would be a great spot for hiking etc.

Back