Amsterdam for a long weekend in Feb/March

CMK

We are thinking of heading to Amsterdam for a weekend towards end of February or beg of March next year. Has anyone any views on city etc. Anyone suggest a good hotel either.

Any views would be appreciated.

many thanks

Stayed in this hotel. Very central & very comfortable. Wasn't impressed with Amsterdam at all. Thought it a very bleak, damp, cold, seedy city with no redeeming features. Having said that we only stayed in the centre of things and didnt have enough time to venture outside it so can only give my opinion of the centre of things. Do the ferry around the canals. Best thing about Amsterdam: subway was open late on the way back to the hotel! Give me Madrid/Barcelona/London/Manchester any day. But as I say only my opinion!

Amsterdam Zoo is very nice. It's within a few kms of the center of the city, and also has a marine section which is very big and has all sorts of fish etc. Then there's load of animals too.

The Heiniken factory is there.. never got a chance to look at it.

Coffee shops all over the place.

Loads of museums, including the Anne Frank museum.

The red light district is large but perhaps a little seedy but not as much as you might expect.. but that sort of thing will always attract undesirables.. as long as you're not completely stupid you'll be ok (imo), even at night. I think most Irish people would be very surprised at the type of women behind some of the red lights.

Nightclubs and raves open until the early hours.

You might be best getting a hotel near Central Station, as then getting to and from the airport is easy... and obviously central station is central. Airport is 20km or more from the city, but 7 Euros or so on the train. If your train carraige is carpeted then you're in first class and you likely don't have the correct ticket. It's 'self assesed' if you like, which works in Europe. There will also be ticket checkers.

Have to agree with Happygirl. Amsterdam is bleak and dreary. Heineken brewery trip is OK. We went on a trip to the sea(zeyder zee) and windmills, cheese tasting. This was a bit of a bore. Hotel room was no bigger than a filing cabinet!!
Go to Paris or better again Berlin!!:)

We stayed in Hotel Zandbergen earlier this year and I would highly recommend it, mainly for the hospitality the owner displayed and the value. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the breakfast was good, Very steep stairs so not suitable for young children or older people. It is about 10 minutes walk to the Van Gogh museum and the Rijksmuseum (would recommend both). There is a tram stop just down the street and books of tickets can be purchased at the hotel reception. I would also recommend the Anne Frank museum and a canal trip. I have to say I wouldn't rush back to Amsterdam but it is a great place to visit once.

If interested in the Anne Frank museum - book online well in advance of when you plan to be there - www.annefrank.org Otherwise you will be queuing for hours.

Went there for St. Patks weekend a few years ago. As previous posters said, OK to visit once. Was not really into Art Museums. Nice easy city to walk and trams very good .
Probably enjoyed the pubs and coffee shops most abiding memory but terribly cold at that time of year. Hotel rooms tiny. Could find lots other places much more romantic.

We changed our minds and are going to Paris instead!!

Thanks for replies

Paris is fabulous!! So, so, so much to do, I've been to Paris many times, Amsterdam once, did enjoy AMS, but wasn't wildly exciting...would go back to Paris any time...not so fast to AMS.

The Anne Frank house is an absolutely must see. If you havn't read her diary then do so before going as there so no more an amazing story. Remember this is the actual annex where they live.

The Van Gogh museum is also a must see and is worth 2 visits on any weekend.

As for the red light district it is what it is and it's amazing seeing families walking around this area like strolling in the park. It's weird but it's how they do things. For this reason it's worth a look as it is very bizaar to see it. It's funny what some view as normal with the red windows overlooking the canal.
The coffee shops were empthy from what I could see but maybe later they get busy. Be carefull with the cake though.. it'll make you hungry..

You can easily rent bikes and cycle around the centre. It's very cycle friendly and is a great way to see the place. Just pick up a tourist map.

Amsterdam is worth a visit once but the seedyness tag is helped by Irish and English stag parties that are drawn to the place.

Someone told me a visit to a flower grower is worth while but maybe this is for the summer. Anyway enjoy and dont be put off, as there will always be some more prudish than others and they city doesn't exist on the red light district alone.

Back