America at Christmas

Hans

We would like to spend Christmas in America preferably somewhere warm. We had planned to go to Florida and were looking at flight prices of 600 euro each but due to family crises put booking it on the long finger and now find the flights have nearly doubled in price each. I am paying for 6 adults so this adds up. We didn't chose Florida for parks or any other reason but probably the weather so would go anywhere else that we could drive out and enjoy the scenery and do a bit of sight seeing.
We spend three weeks driving around California a few years ago and really enjoyed it so I'm sure there are other places that are worth a visit. I would love to hear of recomendations from other people that have found places worth visiting and maybe not as touristy as Florida.

A change of Plan I have now booked flights to Orlando over Christmas as got some resonable fares with Continental. I now have a new query can anyone recomend the best area to stay if not 'doing' the parks (maybe a day or two) but want a nice villa somewhere quiet to laze around in near nice places to eat and take day trips from.
I have been looking at the villa websites but when I dont know the area I am confused as places near Disneyland seem more expensive but as I dont need to be near there maybe get a better place further away - near a golf course would be nice.

Hi there

I lived in Florida for a while and now travel to Florida about every 2 years or so. Usually staying as far away from the theme parks as I can.

You are travelling during their busy time so be prepared for lots of snow birds .. US people from colder states migrating south for the winter!

Most of the rental properties are south west of down town and not too far from the parks but are in gated communities so you don't feel like you are in Disney! They should have their own pool or access to a shared one. Davenport, Tuscan Hills, Highland reserve etc are all around the same area found off the I4 highway.

Personally, I'd keep going on the I4 towards Tampa and St Peterburg. You can get to all areas on the gulf coast in about 3 hours max from Orlando Airport (assuming that's MCO and not Sanford which is further north)

Towns such as Sarasota, St Petes Beach, John's Pass are gorgeous, white powdery beaches, lots of restaurants and good night life.

We usually plan a night on the way back to stay in Orlando, do a park or 2 and fly home on the Aerlingus evening flight. That's enough for us.

If you need any help on specific locations, please feel free to PM me.

Back