Amending PRSI details for previous years - Problem

machalla

I'm not sure if this is a tax or welfare question but please move it as needs be.

I am wondering who has the responsibility to update a PRSI record for an employee the revenue or the social welfare? I have had a problem where the incorrect prsi was paid on one of my previous employments. That has now been rectified so that all prsi contributions should be the standard A1 PRSI class for a portion of 2006. The problem is that a P.35 has been submitted to pay the correct PRSI but my actual PRSI record has not been amended. Dept. Social welfare say that its revenues responsibility, Revenue say its Social welfare. No-one seems to know who should be updating what and I can't find out who is supposed to be dealing with this appropriately.

Any suggestions as to the correct section in whichever department would be appreciated. The revenue P.35 section say its not their responsibility either..

The p35 is definitely Revenue's problema as it is one of their forms. I know that what happens in 'normal' EOY returns is that PRSI records are copied from Revenue's computer en masse to SW's computers. I'd imagine that, if a record has to be amended, it is up to Revenue to notify SW in writing of the amended record, as per the P35 now remitted. SW can then amend the PRSI record on their computer to reflect the change. Sound's logical to me, but then again...

Revenue connect the data and send it into SW. Otherwise they don't talk to each other! :rolleyes: If you go into a SW office they can show you your details on the screen, but I don't know if the front line employees can change them. In any case I would say it is up to SW to update your records. They have a legal obligation correct incorrect data under the Data Protection Acts.

Revenue connect the data and send it into SW. Otherwise they don't talk to each other! :rolleyes: If you go into a SW office they can show you your details on the screen, but I don't know if the front line employees can change them. .
Front line stafff cannot change PRSI records because of potential fraudulent activities.

In any case I would say it is up to SW to update your records.

....if they can back up the change with evidence from Revenue that it is correct to do so.

Thats what I was informed by SW, that they can only view data not modify it. Which does of course make sense. The problem is that the P.35 person I spoke to kept saying it was up to SW to make this change to PRSI status even thought she had a record of the amended payment in the system. I'm starting to think I will need to mail both revenue and SW with copies of correspondence to make them talk to each other! Thats an interesting point about the Data Protection Act. It might be one route to follow. Thanks for your suggestions.

Update
I got a call back from someone in the P.35 section to say it takes about 2 weeks for the amendment to go through the system. He offered to confirm the details for social welfare. So its P.35 that deal with this.

Thanks for your help again.

Last edited:
The p35 is definitely Revenue's problema as it is one of their forms. I know that what happens in 'normal' EOY returns is that PRSI records are copied from Revenue's computer en masse to SW's computers. I'd imagine that, if a record has to be amended, it is up to Revenue to notify SW in writing of the amended record, as per the P35 now remitted. SW can then amend the PRSI record on their computer to reflect the change. Sound's logical to me, but then again...

Not sure if they do actually keep the same records - I had an employee who I received two PPS numbers for. I was using one of the PPS numbers on revenue's instruction, but the SW were holding the information against the other PPS no. Revenue then confirmed that the PPS no that SW were holding the info against was the correct one and I had to send an email to the Revenue P35 section to amend the P60 details for the employee.

Not sure what you mean.

The PPSN is issued and controlled by SW. All records returned by Revenue under any number other than the correct one (including emergency numbers) are unlikely to be recorded against a person's record in SW unless remedial action is taken by either Revenue or SW

Back