Am I right to say these downpipes are unacceptable?

dubgem

I had a plumber in to replace several downpipes - the originals were old metal ones and they were replacing them with modern plastic ones.

I arrived home after day 2 of a 3 day job to find that:

(1) the larger, round pipes were black but the smaller round ones, were white.

(2) The medium-sized square downpipe coming from a black square guttering connection (the guttering is also black) is white.

(3) One of the smaller white pipes is connecting to the larger black downpipe with a connection that is clearly meant for another larger pipe, not a pipe of this size.

This is an expensive job (it also involves some interior work) and I think visually it looks terrible with a mix of black and white pipes and the odd junction where the small pipe joins the large pipe. Surely all the downpipes should be the same colour? And surely there is such a thing as a size-appropriate connection to the large downpipe?

In addition they dug up my patio to get access to replace the underground part of the pipes and a drain. The ground is still dug up and they have replaced most of the pipes but the drain cover, which is securely fixed, is significantly above ground level. Could this be a temporary cover because they will be gone over the weekend, even though it is securely fixed?

Would appreciate some advice. I cannot see a mix of black and white pipes on the outside of any of the neighbours' houses and a google image search is not helpful. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160611_082723.jpg
    20160611_082723.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 354
Last edited:
I had a plumber in to replace several downpipes - the originals were old metal ones and they were replacing them with modern plastic ones.

I arrived home after day 2 of a 3 day job to find that:

(1) the larger, round pipes were black but the smaller round ones, were white.

(2) The medium-sized square downpipe coming from a black square guttering connection (the guttering is also black) is white.

(3) One of the smaller white pipes is connecting to the larger black downpipe with a connection that is clearly meant for another larger pipe, not a pipe of this size.

This is an expensive job (it also involves some interior work) and I think visually it looks terrible with a mix of black and white pipes and the odd junction where the small pipe joins the large pipe. Surely all the downpipes should be the same colour? And surely there is such a thing as a size-appropriate connection to the large downpipe?

In addition they dug up my patio to get access to replace the underground part of the pipes and a drain. The ground is still dug up and they have replaced most of the pipes but the drain cover, which is securely fixed, is significantly above ground level. Could this be a temporary cover because they will be gone over the weekend, even though it is securely fixed?

Would appreciate some advice. I cannot see a mix of black and white pipes on the outside of any of the neighbours' houses and a google image search is not helpful. Thanks.

Correct me if I am wrong but I know a short time ago I purchased paint specifically for painting plastic down pipes/gutters. Keep the head and maybe ask the plumber a searching question such as how long will the paint on the pipes take to dry? Then proceed from response offered?

It looks like a bad DIY job done on a rental gaff.
I'd suggest a better finish. "The customer's always right". If he disagree tell him to undo his work and call it quits.
Then get someone else to do a good job.

I just had another look. Just look at that white pipe in the middle. Rather than use a single long pipe he's used bits of small pipe.

I just had another look. Just look at that white pipe in the middle. Rather than use a single long pipe he's used bits of small pipe.

I see nothing wrong here Drakon. He followed the best line in joining up to the larger black pipe (and if joint seal was used).

Personally I think the job is neatly done. Easiest solution is to paint them black.

I'd be more concerned with filling in the area where the expanding foam was put.

Not a disaster dubgem. Just have a word with your builder and see what he says.

Take, for example, the lower Y-join on the right hand side down pipe.
The most obvious problem with this is that the branch is too large. The branch should be much narrower, ie the same diameter as the White pipe.
Also, the angle of the Y-join is incorrect. As a result a further hack is required to get the white pipe from the Y-join to where it exits the all.
If this Y-join must be used, then it should have been used lower down the drainpipe, to avoid the aforementioned hack.

You can get jointing connections for soil stacks that will accept a 40mm waste directly rather then use the lower larger Y connector, such as these. You'll notice they generally accept the 40mm pipe at a right angle to to stack though. You can put a shallow angle on them, but you risk compromising the seal, and you don't want to do that under a window. You can also get the 40mm waste pipe and fittings in black, just not everywhere will stock black, as the vast majority of that pipework is plumbed in white.

These connections and jointing pieces only come in set angles(90, 45, or 22.5 degrees) so use of two pieces of the 40mm pipe is standard enough so the 40mm pipe meets the soil stack at the correct angle for the connector.

What they could have done here (along with using all black piping), is to use the same jointing connection to the soil stack for both pipes, put them closer together and put a slight drop in the 40mm pipe where it comes out of the wall so that it would then run exactly parallel to the larger soil pipe from there to the stack.

Thank-you all for the replies, much appreciated. It turns out that (a) some of the pipes have to be white under regulation and (b) they were finishing for the day and put in temporary solutions that will be replaced with the final options later. They also put in the white downpipe because the house is white, they didn't discuss it with me but as I want a black one they are giving me that.

Again, thank-you all for the replies, it's hard to know what is legitimate to complain about or accept and the community here has been very helpful. In the end all has turned out well and I'm happy with the result.

Back