Am I mad to get an electric grass mower?

IsleOfMan

My garden has shrunk. More flowerbeds, more vegetable beds and less grass.
I have a petrol mower. Every time I try to start the thing I wrench my neck. I have to go to the petrol station to buy petrol for it. There is an oily blue smoke after prolonged use. It cost me €80 for a service to it last year and it is no better after it. It is over 30 years old though.

I was thinking of getting an electric mower after 40 years of owning a petrol mower. Am I mad or can someone convince me otherwise?

All depends on the size of your lawn / grass area... you can get good strong electric mowers that will do the job - I would recommend cutting small bit off but often ... ideally in the growing season you should be trimming once a week. If you miss a few cuts, then that is where the power of a petrol lawnmower comes in handy...

What size area have you under grass?

How far is the furthest corner of the garden (the grass part) from your power source? If the mower lead isn't long enough you're either going to have to use an extension lead (not ideal) or install outdoor sockets to allow you to reach that corner.

I love my battery one! Not the strongest thing in the world but more than adequate if you cut reasonably regularly and no hassle with petrol or electric cords. On my second one now, first one lasted 10 yrs or more with one battery change and I don't know why it broke in the finish, it was flimsy though, like a Fisher Price toy. The one I have now is a Bosch Rotak, looks the same as the electric version but with a battery, a much stronger machine than the last one. Best bought at the end of the season though, nearly always reduced substantially in places like B&Q.

My garden has shrunk. More flowerbeds, more vegetable beds and less grass.
I have a petrol mower. Every time I try to start the thing I wrench my neck. I have to go to the petrol station to buy petrol for it. There is an oily blue smoke after prolonged use. It cost me €80 for a service to it last year and it is no better after it. It is over 30 years old though.

I was thinking of getting an electric mower after 40 years of owning a petrol mower. Am I mad or can someone convince me otherwise?

I personally would go for a new petrol mower. €80 is a lot to throw at it for no improvement. Father took out his petrol mower last week after the winter, it started first time. It was bought new in 1996 for IR£ 250, money well spent. The briggs & stratton engines are legendary. Oh the smell of cut grass and petrol, brings me back to my teenage years.

I think I would have to go for a push button starter if I was to get a new petrol mower. They are more expensive though. My last mower lasted over 30 years. I am not going to last another 30 years though. Probably downsize house in 5 or 6 years. This is why I was thinking of going down the electric mower route.
Back in the 70's bought a Black and Decker for my first house, small garden. Nearly electrocuted myself when the handle overheated and melted. Gipimann, I take your point about cables. I have various extension leads that I can use. I agree, not ideal.

I find electric mowers to be of poor quality flimsy construction and not suited to the irish climate and temprament. By that I mean that when you finally get around to that first cut in May there is a thick impenetratable sward.

I inhereted two of these flimsy flymos and the the handles sheared off in a matter of weeks and I accidently cut the power cord as well.

I got rid of my petrol mower after many years, my lawn is only small now about 8 x 8 meters. I bought a large electric Flymo with a grass box, it took awhile to get used to the cable, but otherwise it is OK and quite well built

I switched from a petrol mower without regret. The main advantages are that it's lighter therefore easier to store and carry plus if the grass surface is dampish, the electric one doesn't dig into the grass like the heavy petrol one did.

Back