Am I entitled to any of partners house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fell out of love, the atmosphere in the house became increasingly awkward so it seemed to be the easy option at the time to move out.

A man and woman decide to live in a modern "marriage-like" relationship for a continuous period of a few years. The relationship ends. Critical years are gone from her life and the woman is out on the street with no "marraige-like" rights.

Well ain't womens liberation a great ol' thing.

lucy2 - sorry for your predicament. It would be nice though if stories like this could alert other women to their own situations.

I wonder could money received through the rent a room scheme from a partner be considered a financial contribution to the purchase price of the house.....

And do payment towards bills such as bin charges, gas etc (day-to-day household expenses) be considered Indirect contributions?

Lucy2 thats rough going. my advise to you would be to call into citizens advise bureau or contact a solicitor to answer your Q`s once and for all.

good luck x

Of course it was the easy option to move out when you broke up. It is his house not yours. Think how you would react if it was your house and he was looking for a big cheque? Count yourself lucky for not having to fork out rent/mortgage repayments for the past 2years!

Do you genuinely feel you are entitled to some of the equity in the house or are you just wondering about the strict legal situation ?

I'm too am shocked by the question. Giving us girls a bad name!

i hardly think one post asking a Q about what one is or isnt entitled to, tarnishes ever good womans name!! Come on GET REAL!!!!

Cant people stick to what this site is about - giving sound advise when needed.

I'm too am shocked by the question. Giving us girls a bad name!

I wonder could money received through the rent a room scheme from a partner be considered a financial contribution to the purchase price of the house.....

And do payment towards bills such as bin charges, gas etc (day-to-day household expenses) be considered Indirect contributions?

No, a rent a room scheme type thing wouldn’t result in an equitable interest, as there is a landlord – tenant relationship in existence. Co-habitees are in a different situation. Yes, contributing towards household expenses often do amount to indirect contributions.

As I said above, advice to a family member at the time from a solicitor, suggested that rent received from a partner could be considered a financial contribution to the purchase of a house.

I don't believe rent from a partner comes under rent a room, though. Afterall they share the same bed so they're not actually renting a room. Perhaps you could keep a room vacent and declare rent a room from a partner for that room, thus keeping the tax man happy and legally keeping the money received at arms length and thus not allowing your partner to build up a stake.

I don't believe payment towards any charges would be considered indirect contributions. These are running charges after all.

I really just want to know what the strict legal position is. I want to know my rights. I didn't pay the mortgage but I did paint the house and do all the housework for the 2 years that I was in the house.

Have you broached this with your ex ?

You shouldn't have moved out then maybe he would have paid to get rid of you

lol

How much time/money did you spend on painting the house? It would be interesting to know whether housework could be viewed as contributing to the upkeep of the house, probably not in fairness.

I really just want to know what the strict legal position is. I want to know my rights. I didn't pay the mortgage but I did paint the house and do all the housework for the 2 years that I was in the house.

There is no strict legal position on this one, it's a somewhat grey area. You would have to contact a solicitor who would advice you, represent you, and attempt to extract a settlement from your partner if he/she thinks they can.

If you lose, it could be costly. You would be required to prove what you contributed towards the house. I suspect the fact that you did not pay rent to your patner, would seriously diminish your chances of gettting anything.

Contact a solicitor.

home improvements have been held to constitute indirect contributions.

Lucy, go see a solicitor, all circumstances are different

:D :D

brilliant - was the paint job requested - or did you perhaps drop a hint that some flowery shade would make everyone happier and went ahead and added the feminine touch?

BTW on a similar note I was in the park the other day and was playing with someone elses dog, throwing him sticks and stuff, I wonder if I could have brought him home with me afterwards?

What will a Court say? They will ask:

1. Did you have an agreement?
2. Did you have a mutual understanding?
3. Did you have anything in writing?
4. Did he lead you to believe that you were acquiring an interest in the property?
5. Did you stay with him and assist him with elderly parents/through illness with some payback in mind?
6.In your own mind, did you think that you were acquiring an interest in the property by paying for bills and food?
7. Did you borrow substantial money to renovate and improve the property?
8. If this was you and a friend as opposed to a partner, would you have any expectations?

Mostly, on the facts disclosed ( scant I know but most people tend to put the best case forward) the answer to all of the above is probably no.
In my view, as a practising solicitor, working in the area of property/family law, the OP has no sustainable case. At all. She enjoyed rent free accomodation for the duration of a reasonably short relationship. She chose to do the housework.

mf

home improvements have been held to constitute indirect contributions.

This was in the case of married couples was it not ?

The situation of common law partners in Ireland is as stated above by MF1, very different.

On the basis of precedent and logic , and solely on the information given by the OP, any action to pursue her partner for money is unlikely to yield results.

If I had paid paid half the mortgage for the 2 years that I was in the house would I have been entitled to anything?

So lets get this right you lived Rent free in his house using probally all the appliances, furnishings that he bought. I am sure you did not contribute to his house insurance bill or his Life assurance bill that he would have to pay. How much is rent these days about €500 a month over 2 years about €12k you saved.
You paid half the bills and half the food bill I presume you did some of this food and you want to know to know if you are entitled to half his house :eek:

As for losing 2 years of her life what would the diff be if she had been going out with him for 2 years but still living at home???

If I had paid paid half the mortgage for the 2 years that I was in the house would I have been entitled to anything?

In an attempt to be unbiased about this and trying to understand this situation from both you and your partners perspectives (your partners asset v your home) -

Where a cohabiting couple reside and only one name on the title deeds if the partner not named on the title deeds but has made contributions to the mortgage, the purchase price, deposit or upkeep of the house they may have a beneficial interest in the property which may be enforced in court.

If the above applies consult your solicitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back