Aluminium RFID Protected Wallet, the future?

mathepac

Some time ago I was a contributor to a thread concerning a consumer who had money taken from a bank account by means of a debit-card stolen from a locked hotel room (video evidence was located) and the PIN for the card that had been acquired by the thieves. The consumer did not write the PIN down and had not revealed it to anyone. The hotel provided some compensation but the bank (as usual) dug their heels in and said the theft was the consumer's fault and refused compensation.

I raised an issue at the time saying chip n' pin is not the be all and end all security-wise that the providers claim and in fact all the tech is easily circumvented by shoulder-surfing, video cameras and readers installed in ATMs and payment machines in shops.

Ignoring all those problems and the holes in their so-called security on cards, the card providers and banks have now introduced contactless cards which are scanned from a distance to take money from your account. You don't present your card to cashier or physically feed your card through a reader, you simply swipe it past a scanning device.

The obvious problem with this technology is that the thieves have already of course acquired proximity scanners that can, by simply passing close to someone with a contactless card on their person, read the data and store it in order to steal money.

I found this ad online. I have no connection with the makers or vendors, I just like the idea that your contactless card cannot be scanned while it's in the wallet and is only vulnerable if you wave it around like snuff at a wake (or use it as a regular ATM or payment card).

The wallet - https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-a...289913281&mc_cid=c62cb31f8a&mc_eid=1db3dfa997

More info on RFID - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification

My doggy has one of the rice-grain chips under his skin as his ID in case of theft, loss, etc.

The cheapo solution is to wrap your contactless cards in aluminium foil until you need to use them.

Chip and PIN protects the financial institutions. In introducing these, they have managed to pass much of the risk off the the consumer. Whereas before, if someone stole your credit card and used it, the banks always reimbursed you. Now, if they also obtain your PIN by whatever means, you are liable.

There are a huge range of RFID shielding wallets and small card carriers/pouches available now, almost a must have if you take public transport frequently.

Back