Alu clad versus wood windows

R

Red1

Evening, I like the idea of Alu clad windows but dont like the limited colours for the aluminium bit. Had a look at some wooden windows from Ecolodge, very nice, was assured that I will not have to undertake crazy maintanance every few years once I applied a sealant solution every 6 monthes or so.

Anybody have any experience with wooden windows? Are they a maintenance nightmare??

I have experience with wooden windows. You have to paint or varnish them. For some, this is a maintenance nightmare. Me, I think of it as the small price you have to pay for having something beautiful, environmentally friendly, and structurally sound.

I use a high quality paint and expect to have to repaint every five years or so. I certainly would regard applying a sealant every six months as more of a maintenance nightmare than what I have to do now.

Evening, I like the idea of Alu clad windows but dont like the limited colours for the aluminium bit.

I've been looking into alu-clad windows and the range of colours for the aluminium was very large for anyone I spoke to. What exactly are you looking for?

A lot of Alu clad window manufacturers use the full RAL colour system - e.g Dansk.

[broken link removed])

That's 1900 different colours. What colour exactly are you looking for?

Hello Red1, Sas,
would you mind sharing what kind of prices you were being quoted per window. It would be helpful to know how much extra the Alu cladding costs.
Thanks,
d2ww

Hello Red1, Sas,
would you mind sharing what kind of prices you were being quoted per window. It would be helpful to know how much extra the Alu cladding costs.
Thanks,
d2ww

Alot of my quotes weren't broken down by window so I only have an overall figure. If someone is quoting you 40% extra for aluclad as several companies have done so to me I'd tell them to go take a jump..

Eg. 1 quote I got was for 58K. They wanted 40% extra for aluclad!
Another company I got a quote of 48K from for aluclad passive house certified windows. Yet another one was approx 40K for aluclad windows.

1 thing to note though is that all the window companies I've spoke to are german\austrian so the windows all open in which is a turn off for alot of people

SAS, when windows open in do they comply with fire regulations here in Ireland?

SAS, when windows open in do they comply with fire regulations here in Ireland?

I certainly hope so! As far as I know the fire regulations make reference to the unobstructed opening size of the window for certain rooms.

The big issue people tend to have with them is that it makes hanging blinds difficult\impossible.

Hi,

We put in Marvin sliding sash Alu-Clad windows and are very happy with them. The look really good and its the first things that people comment on when they go into the house. We just went with plain white on outside - they are pine on they inside. We have about 20 standard size windows and they cost €19. If you have large non standard type windows, the price will shoot up.

I used Aluwood windows, (Irish rep for a Danish company). The quality of the windows are excellent. My considerations were for a maintenance free outside and a nice wood finish inside and they turned out great. You can get inward or outward opening, side and top hung. You can also get motors on windows which may be in high or awkward to reach places, for switched opening. The lead time was very good compared to other window companies also.

Andyh
[broken link removed]

Now that's value!

That price put smile on my face, see there are bargains still to be had in Ireland. 95cent per window is great value;)

I`m sure it should have been 19k so 950E per window, standard ope say 1200mm x 1900mm = 2.28m2 = 417E pm2.:D

Well done AndyH seem like a good deal

Jaid

Yes...the joys of being pregnant and trying to grab a few minutes on the laptop while the members of the tribe are watching Dora.
I presume that you guessed it was €19,000 and that price included French Doors which were around the €3,000 mark.

it was €19,000 and that price included French Doors which were around the €3,000 mark.

Was that recently? I was quoted €20,000 for 7 windows. Admittedly some are very large. Total 23.5 m2, biggest single window is 8.64 m2 and two at 4 m2. That works out at €850/m2. A bit more than Jaid calculated. I didn't buy yet needless to say.

Hi,

March 2006. Cottage style house so sliding sash really suited it. Some of the structural opening sizes are w936xh1350, w936xh1146, w682xh1350, w1185xh1350, french door was w1185x1350.

Again they are really fab and delighted with them.
At the time, they did not sell Front/Back doors and I ended up getting doors from AndyH. Very good quality doors and I am also very happy with them and the service that I got from AndyH

Folks,
There is a lady in Cork who imports aluclad windows from Sweden. She is in glanmire in cork.
These are triple glazing and are very good quality. I have not installed yet but I am planning on ordering them.
Her price is very reasonable. However she supplies only. You have to supply her with measurments and get someone to fit.

On that note does anyone know of a good window installer.

Thanks.

You have to supply her with measurments and get someone to fit.

On that note does anyone know of a good window installer.

Thanks.

If someone does not have any experience of measuring for windows is it not a bit tricky measuring up yourself and then possibly find that the windows do not fit. I wouldn't measure up for blinds myself never mind windows.

sueellen,
No I will not measure myself. Some of these windows are very complex, so I am looking for someone to maasure and also take responsibility of installing them.

10to1 if your question is for me, yes all the french doors patio doors and windows are 2200 in height and some are 2400 long. The length is split into sections like sliding doors.

I like the idea of Alu clad windows but dont like the limited colours for the aluminium bit.

I know of a company that provides Austrian windows, excellent quality with the full RAL range of Alu clad colours. However they also do an alu cladding with a wood print! also in a range of colours/wood styles. I thought it was really naff at first but was really impressed with a number of installations that I saw, looked very effective, from a couple of meters you couldn't tell that they weren't wood. I understand that they are popular where planning requires a wood finish, but people do not want to take on the maintenance.

J2K

PS: if a supplier is looking for a large price increase for alu cladding, this would suggest to me that alu cladding is not their core business and I would go elsewhere. There are lots of options around.

Back