Alternatives to granite

davebrien

Hi all,

I'm currently looking into replacing the kitchen. I have priced Granite and can't really afford it. Does anyone have recommendations for alternatives in stone - there is quartz for one but just wondering what else and what are the price differentials.

Thanks,

Dave

Have you shopped around a good few places for your Granite? Reason I ask is, I got quotes from about 8 places and couldn't believe how much they varied, some as much as €2k for exactly the same granite. I found stonefacings in Mullingar (they travelled to me in Dublin and I believe will travel all around) very good and the most competitively priced.

There's also composite stone counter tops but they can be as expensive as Granite in a lot of cases.

Hi,

I got my kitchen done a couple of years ago. I picked out what I was sure was granite but it was actually siltstone (think thats what it is called) and it looks fab. I got black and you could get lots of different colour flecks - silver, gold etc...I got silver to go with the stainless steel in my appliances - really happy with it. Can't remember what it cost but it was way cheaper then what I was quoted for granite.

The guy who installed it was called James - JR Fireplaces (Dublin Northside) Not sure what their number is though.

I have no connection - Just a happy customer.

I believe Quartz is actually more expensive than Granite. If you go for black granite it's cheaper than other colours. The best thing to do is visit a supplier and see what they have in stock - they will give you a better deal for an instock off-cut.

we have quartz, and it was cheaper than granite. And, in our kitchen, its a more uniform appearance (inclusion-wise), than granite so we like it.

we have quartz, and it was cheaper than granite. And, in our kitchen, its a more uniform appearance (inclusion-wise), than granite so we like it.

generally quartz is dearer than granite although a few rare granite colours mighter be dearer.galwaytt,do you know what brand and colour(name) your quartz is?

Granite worktop is now more affordable in my opinion. Get the length of your worktops - multiply it by the depth (ie. 2ft) gives you the sq ft of the surface area then multiply that by €42 (the average price per sq ft) and this will give you a very close price to what you should be getting charged. Some kitchen companies add a bit on for themselves so get your own quotes.
Silestone is also a nice counter top, it also has anti-bacterial properties and comes in a huge range of colours. It's man made and very durable, when fitted it should have no joints/seemless. This worktop is slightly more expensive.

Back