VHI Alternative to teachers plan with VHI

inaquandert

Just wondering if there is a comparable cheaper alternative to this? Single female, I don;t need High Tech hospitals but would like to be covered for public hospitals and some private but not the Mater Private or Beacon in Dublin. I have a chronic illness so don't want any excess for hospital admissions. I'd also like as much outpatient cover as possible! Not asking for much am I? Any advice appreciated.

early february and its gone up by about 100 for teachers plan which I think is a pretty good plan but I need to try and keep down costs

The only plan with VHI with equivalent cover to Teachers Plan, no excess, is as follows;
1. One Plan Extra; price 1391pa; same hospital cover as before, limited day to day cover - same as before.
[broken link removed]

The following plans with Laya Healthcare have a capped excess, either 150 x 1, or 100 x 2, per year. Day case excess is 50 per visit.
2. Simply Connect Plus; price 1099pa, same hospital cover as before, hospital excess 150 x 1 per year, day case excess 50 per visit.
Good day to day cover included, no upgrade waiting for this, max refund 500 per year.

3. Simplicity Plan; price 1044pa; same hospital cover as before + private room in a private hospital, hospital excess 100 x 2 max per year. Day case excess 50 per visit. Good day to day cover, but first 100 expenses not allowed.
[broken link removed]

Glohealth has another option worth considering as follows; hospital excess 50 x 2 max per year. No day case excess.
4. Nurture Star; price 1200pa; same hospital cover as before, hospital excess 50 x 2 max per year. Similar day to day cover as before.
[broken link removed]

Note; no hospital excess applies to any public hospital, only private or hi-tech hospitals. Same applies to day case.

Regards, Snowyb

Can I ask
If you take on an excess this year, does that mean you can't go back to no excess the following year?

Also I usually take my worldwide travel insurance with VHI - Do the other health insurers offer such a product?

If you take an excess this year, you can go back to no excess the following year but the likes of VHI will make you wait 2 years to take off the excess. Laya healthcare are not strict applying these rules, they allow to change plans and the new excess applies straight away.

Yes, Laya Healthcare and Aviva offer worldwide travel insurance. I've no personal experience of these two companies.
There's also other online alternatives like www.multitrip.com etc.

Snowyb

Hi,
Not sure if I'm allowed to hijack someone else's thread. I've just turned 50, female, have a teacher's plan, renewal is over 1300 (feb 1st), I'm going to be job-sharing and I'd like to really reduce the cost of my plan but stay with VHI. I'm v. active, want to stay that way and I'd like good orthopaedic cover and reasonable cardiac. I've been onto vhi but they're handling their reviews via call backs as they're so busy. If anyone has advice re specific plans I could compare the benefits then and be a bit more armed talking to them. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi furrym,

Welcome to AAM,

The following 2 plans are worth considering as alternative options to Teachers Plan. Details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 37 13; price 1075pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 100 per admission or per day case
procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover, similar to Teachers Plan.

2. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 per year for all
admissions(regardless of how many per year. Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.
Good day to day cover on this plan, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% for gp visits, consultant visits, dental, physio, etc.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you for taking the time to reply Snowyb. Off to buzz them now.

Editing to add: reviewed the plan with vhi and they came up with 37 13 as well...so great to be fore-armed, Many thanks again.

Last edited:
Back