Alternative Round the World Trip

cormacol

Hi all

I've finally taken the plunge and handed in my notice at work. Will be heading off travelling in three months time and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what is worth doing - not to keen on the Australia/New Zealand usual year out

Thanks

Spend lots of time in Africa.

The "feed the world" song many years ago was a grave injustice on the continent.

I spent some time in Malawi earlier this year and can't wait to go back and to visit Mozambique, Botswana and Ethiopia.

Would agree regarding Africa. I spent two years working there (in the Great Lakes Region) and have to say it was a life changing experience. Loved every minute of it, even the dangerous ones!

Did you travel independently or as part of an organised group

I was actually doing some aid work in Malawi and took a bit of a holiday in Kenya afterwards.

However, I met plenty of people travelling independently in Africa, and if you don't have any strict deadlines to meet it's a wonderful way to travel.

I spent some time in Malawi earlier this year and can't wait to go back and to visit Mozambique, Botswana and Ethiopia.

I highly recommend Ethiopia. There's a great tour you can do around the northern part of the country (from Addis to Bahir Dar, Lalibela, Axum and Gondar) and plenty of options elsewhere for independent travellers. But Lalibela in particular is not to be missed. I cannot understand why it isn't a major world attraction.

Would recommend South America. I was away for 4 years in total all over the workd & it was the best region to visit by far. Diverse countries & cultures. Some great trips to be done- Amazon & Salt Plains being my favourite. I didnt travel with a group, just myself & met tonnes of people along the way to do little trips with.

As the previous posters said - Africa. No other place like it. I've backpacked in North and South America, Oz, NZ and SE Asia and while I had a great time nothing touches Africa.

I found Africa easier to travel in than South America and the food was much better. Landed in Kenya, did a safari there (Masai Mara is much cheaper than the Serengeti - they're basically the same parks just divided by the border). Went overland by bus to Dar Es Salem, Zanzibar, train to Lusaka in Zambia, flew over Zimbabwe (elections were on...) to South Africa.

Trip of a lifetime, and you don't feel you're on the tourist trail. Take it easy and enjoy - be relaxed about time and use basic cop on about security and you'll be fine. Be a little more carful in Niarobi and Johannesburg and you'll be fine.

God I'm jealous.

Hi all

I've finally taken the plunge and handed in my notice at work. Will be heading off travelling in three months time and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what is worth doing - not to keen on the Australia/New Zealand usual year out

Thanks

Do not miss China
It is spectacular by the very fact that it is so different. People, customs, diet. An experience of a lifetime.

Expect it to change a lot over the next few years, and become more westernised, so get there before McDonalds & Co take over!

(And it's also extremely cheap.)

my brother is going with www.oz-bus.com
departing on 23 September from London. he will arrive in sydney in december and then fly back to london/ireland.
have a look at the website, see if it's your cup of tea !

Back