Algae-like stuff in hot water

johnnyapple

Hi all,

This one is a long standing problem, with no sign of a resolution, so I would be thankful for any advice (I pretty much gave up on it, but with the new year and all, figured it's time to try again).

We have an open system (attic tank feeding hot water cylinder, which is 10 years old). The attic tank is covered and insulated. We are on mains water, supplied by Roundwood to the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown area.

The hot water from the cylinder always has an 'earthy' smell, and is slightly discoloured. If you run a couple of hot taps simultaneously for a minute or more, green algae-like stuff starts to flow out with it. I have tried a few times over the years to introduce Milton into the attic tank, run it through, and allow it to sit for a while before running the taps again.

This helps for a short time, but the problem always resurfaces. The mains water is pretty much devoid of chlorine and has a yellow tinge, but we have had this tested and been assured that it meets regulations. My impression is that this is the trigger for the problem, as while it is fine when it comes in, the lack of any remaining sterilisation could lead to bacterial growths in the system over time.

Would be great if someone could offer any advice on how to confront this issue.

Do you still have the water test report?

Might be an idea to fit a simple filter on your incoming mains, but be very wary choosing a supplier, there seems to be many cowboys operating in this field.

Back