Alarm Questions

D

delby224

At first fix stage almost.

Thought about getting alarm guy in so he could give me quote and maybe direct spark if needed for wiring.

Some alarm guys have said better if they wire as they can plan it better. Any thoughts?

Also the alarm guy I meet showed me window sensors - white bulky things. Spent a bit of money on windows and concerned look will be taking away. Forget name of system. Is there small sensors u can use.

also the panel was a kinda bulky white system. Is there a touch screen flushed panel u can use.

Looking for good overall system really

Many thanks.

Might have few more questions as really getting into house thing now.

Can you give me a bit more information on the system he showed/quoted you.
I'm guessing wireless as you are saying the sensors are bulky. There are smaller options available depending on make etc.
Re the panel, again I need to know what your comparing to.

At first fix stage almost.

Thought about getting alarm guy in so he could give me quote and maybe direct spark if needed for wiring.

Some alarm guys have said better if they wire as they can plan it better. Any thoughts?

Also the alarm guy I meet showed me window sensors - white bulky things. Spent a bit of money on windows and concerned look will be taking away. Forget name of system. Is there small sensors u can use.

also the panel was a kinda bulky white system. Is there a touch screen flushed panel u can use.

Looking for good overall system really

Many thanks.

Might have few more questions as really getting into house thing now.

I would get the system wired as it saves a lot of hassle with changing batteries in the future. It does sound like the installer is looking for a handy wire free install by the sounds of the [broken link removed]. [broken link removed] compared to them are half the size. Cable for every window, personally I would run a cable to each window and put them on separate zones. The type of sensors would be a combination of a shock to show an intruder trying to gain entry and contact to show the opening. Upstairs any window that has access to it would get a combination also, just a contact on non accessible windows so you don't leave them open when leaving the premises. Front door a contact, back doors a combination sensor also. A sliding door needs a cable going to the center for a shock sensor and the end of the cable going to the opening which a contact is attached to. Cable for two beams as back up, one on the landing, one in the hall, external bell, internal bell. A cable for your phone for self monitoring or if you want to have the system connected to the internet a cat 5 cable.

Have you considered if you want lights, central heating controlled by your system ?

Those sensors linked to are older types.
If you look around you can get smaller & tidier wireless sensors
prodimg5797.jpg

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Don't be put off by battery issues. I have lots of Visonic wireless in my house. 3 years + and I have not replaced 1 battery.
Best advice is always shop around. Get at least 3 quotes & compare.
Always insist on someone calling out to do a quote. That way theres no expensive surprises later.

Just wire for a PIR in each room.
The system will cost around €850 less if it is not certified.
The system will dial from your land line.
You can get a GSM dial out but will cost more.
Our system is Surewatch HKC and has not caused any problems in 3 years

I would strongly recommend against this type of system.
Somebody has to be actually in your home before this system activates. At this stage the damage is done. Sensors & contacts detect attempted entry & in many cases deter an intruder before any real damage is done.

If you employ someone to install an alarm they must be PSA licensed. That is a legal requirement & so is them certifying the system

GSM is no longer considered, by most in the industry, as a reliable form of monitoring
Serurewatch is a fairly old system. We stopped installing these about 5-6 years ago. Why did you not go for something that was more up to date 3 years ago.
The [broken link removed] would be HKCs more up to date system
The SPC 4000 range would also be a good system to look at.

I would strongly recommend against this type of system.
Somebody has to be actually in your home before this system activates. At this stage the damage is done. Sensors & contacts detect attempted entry & in many cases deter an intruder before any real damage is done.

Agree 100% with this.
Concentrate with perimeter detection rather than intrusion detection.

If you have money to burn that is your issue.
If the window is broken the PIR will detect in the same time frame.
GSM is the most up to date technology.
Generally speaking a box with lights on the outside will deter burgulars.

Not sure where you are getting quotes.
A standard house with windows and doors would not be significantly dearer .
A window contact is a lot cheeper than a Pir. A window breaking will not activate your Piruntill someone enters that location . An inertia sensor will detect tampering with a windoweven prior to it been broken or forced. Hence the alarm is preventing further damage and giving an earlier warning.
Gsm is not the latest technology,mesh radio with contact Id is.
I would suggest you so some research on gsm jamming.
We have tested these devices. They are viable. They are cerro and are easily accessible.
Are you now advising to just install a decoy box aa the same deterrent aa an alarm?
Again I would suggest more research.

Those sensors linked to are older types.
If you look around you can get smaller & tidier wireless sensors

I was just using them as reference to the wired sensors to hopefully show the OP the difference in size.
I recon a wired system would be better since he is at the first fix stage so installing cables now than installing a wire free system you posted the pictures too would be the way to go.

Would you not agree ?

I would agree.
I only got onto the wireless as thats what he seemed to be getting quoted for.

The system will dial from your land line.

The securewatch system was good in its day but there newer panel is the one to go for now. If money is not an problem then perimeter protecting is the best form of defense against an intruder. An intruder would be in before your alarm will activate. What about night time ? Most people with your type of alarm will leave off the pirs to walk around the house without activating the alarm. It is not a good recommendation. Also the non certified route is a bad move, alarm installers certified to the EN50131 standard have to prove they can install a system to this standard. Non certified means no standard is followed so it can be thrown in anyway with no come back for the owner as he does not want to get in trouble for using a non certified installer as he may be breaking the law if any money has be paid for the install.

If you have money to burn that is your issue.
If the window is broken the PIR will detect in the same time frame.
GSM is the most up to date technology.
Generally speaking a box with lights on the outside will deter burgulars.

I would quit giving advice on alarms if I was you :eek:

A GSM is one of the most easily blocked piece of equipment for an alarm system. New technological, you are making me laugh now :D

Back