Airpark, Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have paid my deposit and am buying a 2 bed in Stocking Lane (all we could afford). I did a thorough search on the SDCC website and in the offices before we signed up but couldn't find anything to do with the halting site. I've googled this myself now and am getting really freaked out about it as my house backs onto what is an empty field at present and if this were the halting site I know it would be difficult to sell. Of course it is too late for me to back out now but if anyone has any info at all as to where this halting site might be going, please let me know!! Other half says he's going to ring the council tomorrow but not sure what joy you get from these telephone conversations. We are majorly stretching ourselves to buy this house and still don't know what our own house will sell for, using our SSIA's etc. so will be really p*ssed off to find we have paid a ridiculous price for a house which is going to be beside a halting site as we were hoping we could afford to sell in a couple of years for a bigger house.

I'm not sure where exactly where the halting site is going to be but even if it is in the field behind u its not the end of the world. There are halting sites being built literally everywhere. For example there are halting sites planned for Mount Anville Road and Bird Avenue so even in more upmarket locations they are going to unavoidable. The main issue is where the access to the halting site is going to be and what will be visible from your house. If you can see it from your house then it certainly could put people off buying it in the future but generally councils try to obscure halting sites if residents put on enough pressure. As regards to ringing SDCC, this is a good idea. SDCC can be very difficult to deal with but if they have a plan for a halting site then they should have identified a site where its going so u just have to keep at them until they tell you or tell you where to find a map. Also it would be worth finding out who is the chair of the residents associations in neighbouring estates like Prospect Manor as they will undoubtedly be worried about travellers in the area and might have more info. Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It would be highly unlikely that you would ever lose money on the value of your home.

Click here :

and look at Traveler Accommodation Programme 2005-2008
It's a bit long winded but worth a read. There are 10 caravan bays planned for stocking lane. No exact location given.
I went through all this a few months ago as 8 new Travelers houses are being built close to me in Lucan. Ring the council. I did and they eased any concerns I had.

Great thanks. I don't mind there being a site on Stocking Lane I'm just more worried about it being right next to my house type of thing! Will check those suggestions out.

Hi all,
Well I have been up to South Dub Co. Co. and paid visited both the Planning Dept. and the Traveller Accomodation Dept. The lady in the Travellers Dept. was really helpful & put my mind at ease. Like one of the other posters I thought the 10 bay Halting Site was going in in the field behind the Development (which is where my house is going to be!) Anyways, they are not going in that field! If you pass air park and cross the bridge over the M50 the site is going in the field directly opposite the M50 (near the wall that says #stocking Ave)

One other thing, there are Social and Affordable Housing going in around the Halting site about 120 units as well.
Has any one looked at Boden Heath have driven around it 3 bed end terrace are 635000 but the houses in Air Park look much better!

Hope this helps with regard to the Halting Site, there is the width of the M50 between the two!

Hi Imd,
By the way my house is backing onto the empty field as well,from what i can gather from the ~Council that field will never be deveoloped for any othe purpose than for the up grading of the Reservoir. They have an application in to increase the capacity of the Reservoir but that shouldnt pose us any problems,better than looking out onto a Site!

I dont know if you know this but the land near Airpark has been approved for the following development -

Lands at and adjacent to former Dogs and, Cats Home, Woodtown Cottage, Woodtown, Stocking Lane, Dublin 16Proposed Development:Ten year permission for a development comprising residential, crèche, retail, office and public house uses and include the construction of: (1) 793 no. dwellings

Got the price list for Boden Heath alright. The houses are quite expensive, considering you can get a bigger house in the the estate behind it for €545k [broken link removed]=

I know there is stamp duty on that ... but still at 1345sqft its a lot bigger than the 3 beds that are being sold in Boden Heath.

Yes we knew about that development work. We are hoping that when all that stuff is built the prices might go up a bit and we will be able to sell our tiny 2 bedroom shoebox and move to a 3 bed somewhere. I think Air Park is ridiculous money. The only reason we bought there is because we could afford the 2 bed (just about), but if I could have afforded a 3 bed in Air Park I wouldn't have bought it, would have bought somewhere else as I think they are just ridiculous money.

lmd said:
We are hoping that when all that stuff is built the prices might go up a bit and we will be able to sell our tiny 2 bedroom shoebox and move to a 3 bed somewhere. .

Dont worry it will.

I mean in Woodstown which is further up the road from Airpark prices started at €118,720 for a three-bedroom house when the development first came on the market in 1997 and by April 1999 the price for a similar house had risen to €187,921. 2 years ago we were going to buy a 2 bed for €375k... now they are starting at €540k.

€352,079 is not a bad return for less than 7 years !! Just goes to show how house prices in the area have gone so mental.

Past performance is no guide to the future.

There is a very good chance that you are buying at the top of the market-if you feel that you have paid ridiculous money, it makes no sense to have bought now.

In 1997, all properties were starting from a much lower 'base'-hence the scope for the growth we have seen. Can that continue for much longer-unlikely.

I don't want to detract attention from the development itself, i.e. the topic of the thread, but there are no certainties as to how much (if any) prices will rise from here on out.

CCOVICH said:
Past performance is no guide to the future.

There is a very good chance that you are buying at the top of the market-if you feel that you have paid ridiculous money, it makes no sense to have bought now.

In 1997, all properties were starting from a much lower 'base'-hence the scope for the growth we have seen. Can that continue for much longer-unlikely.

I don't want to detract attention from the development itself, i.e. the topic of the thread, but there are no certainties as to how much (if any) prices will rise from here on out.

Oh I completely agree... I was just using an example to show her how the area of Knocklyon has increased so much since we were looking in 2004. I know its throughout Ireland at the moment. Id say we will be living in our apt for a while yet if this keeps continuing.. its gone mental out there :rolleyes:

I disagree with "if you feel that you have paid ridiculous money, it makes no sense to have bought now". When I bought my current property I thought it was ridiculous also but the profit has exceeded my expectations due to the luas line. Every time a new development is released the prices seem ridiculous. Then after a few months it seems they were not such a bad buy after all. Anyway none of us know what the future holds, and we felt Air Park is an area we would love to live in even if the market changes and we are "stuck" there so to speak!

There is halting site is going in nearby. The entrance will be just off the new road, Stocking Avenue. It is a 10 caravan bay site with cooking and dining faclities for each family. All of the people there will become 'permanent' residents. There is also planning being sought for a considerable number of affordable houses in that immeadiate area. I have a deposit down on a 3 bed and this development obviously concerns me. Also, the builders seem very inflexible when it comes to make minor alterations to the property. Does anyone have a similar experience of this?

We have bought a three bed property in Airpark and have found the builders in particular the foreman to be very helpful and flexible. We have made a number of alterations and additions and they have responded very quickly to any queries and/or suggestions. I have also visited the site on numerous occasions and have been allowed access our house to check on the progress. So far communication with the builders has been quite positive. Perhaps you should give the Foreman a call??

Do'nt know if I'm allowed ask this question on this thread, just wondering Natalie, did you enquire about a power shower (our house isn't started yet, so haven't really gotten into enquiring about extras yet), or what kind of extras would one normally consider asking for? A bit new to all this.. Apologies if I'm going off thread.

I suppose you can negotiate most extra's or changes if you plan them early enough with the builder and are willing to pay the additional cost for the changes. We got some additional light fittings, spotlights, cabinet lighting, chrome radiator etc. We redesigned our kitchen plan/layout with the kitchen retailer (modern kitchens), putting in a glass corner cabinet, corner storage solutions, different style of drawers etc. The wardrobes can be changed by contacting Cawley furniture. We got lockers made up to match our wardrobes!

Hope this helps.

Hi Guy's,

I nearly bought a 4 bed in Prospect Manor accross the road from Air park a couple of months ago! I PULLED OUT! Loosing only my Survey fee of €450.
I first found out about the halting site (10 bay's) planning approved! located at the round about beside AIR PARK!! Then a chance encounter with a councillor, disclosed that 200 or more "social houses" are to be built on South Dublin Co.Council owned land beside the halting site!!!

This was not found on our searches, I called up to the SDCC building in Tallaght to check, met with a Housing official who confirmed the Prospect of these and more social housing for the area. SDCC own a lot of land on Stocking lane.
I am not a snob, But I wouldn't want to loose €100K off the value of the house in the future, or possibly not be able to sell. As happened to a work colleague in a similar situation.

Choose well. And good luck!
Deepsea.

I also paid a visit to SDCC a couple of weeks ago and while it is true that they do own reasonable tracts of land there it seems to mainly be on the other side of the M50 off the new Stocking Avenue. It's not exactly a million miles away & I would agree that it is a riskier investment than I would have liked. I still haven't signed off on it.

Natalie, we have spoken to the foreman, who I agree is a very decent guy, but our major request was to move the toilet from the downstairs utility room (I have a three bed semi) and so far they aren't budging at all. The foundations for our house haven't even been dug yet so it shouldn't be such a major issue. I have had to refer this to our solicitor for guidance.

Dirk Diggler said:
but our major request was to move the toilet from the downstairs utility room (I have a three bed semi) and so far they aren't budging at all. The foundations for our house haven't even been dug yet so it shouldn't be such a major issue. I have had to refer this to our solicitor for guidance.

AFAIK planning regulations require all new builds to be wheelchair accessable which includes having a downstairs toilet, maybe thats why the builders won't comply with your request?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back