AIB recruitment

brilliant81

Has anyone been the victim of AIBs lax recriutment policy where they take on completely inexperienced people and make them permanent and wont make people already in the bank on short term contracts permanent

Correct me if I'm missing something here but....

If you are employed on a short term contract then it is just that ... a short term contract.

If you are recruited for a permanent postion then you get just that .. a permanent position.

aj

What was to stop those on fixed term contracts applying for the full time positions??

Those who were on fixed term contracts did apply with the consequences being that AIB took on newbies to do a job that the present staff were already trained to do. Where is the sense there?

ajapale said:
Correct me if I'm missing something here but....

If you are employed on a short term contract then it is just that ... a short term contract.

If you are recruited for a permanent postion then you get just that .. a permanent position.

aj

I dont appreciate the sarcasm when I am only asking a genuine question

I wasnt being sarcastic.

I just dont understand why some one who is employed on a short term contract complains that they are not on a permanent contract. They would appear to me to be two completly different propositions.

Perhaps you could clarify:

Are both sets of employees doing the same work?
Are the rates of pay comparible for both sets of employees?
Are the T&C's similar for both sets of employees?

What do the IBOA have to say about the situation?

aj

Situation is...
Recruitment drive comes up both internal and external for same positions
People on short term contracts apply for the position to be made permanent in a position they are already doing
External people eg shop workers apply also for this job
After interviews etc the contract people get letters stating they are not suitable for position, a position I might add they are already doing
Ergo shop worker gets permanent position and bank is back to square one of training
You tell me what is right with this situation

Possibly the shop worker was a better candidate for the role than the existing contractor? Possibly the shop worker showed more potential for long-term development in the bank in other roles?

so does this prove that anyone AIB take on in the short term are incompetant and thats who we have looking after our money

brilliant81 said:
so does this prove that anyone AIB take on in the short term are incompetant and thats who we have looking after our money
No - it proves that on this occasion, better external candidates applied (by comparison to the existing internal short-term candidates).

Brilliant,

Could it be that a new person coming in, without experience, would be on a lower pay scale / rate than the existing short term contractors ?

Are these customer facing jobs ? ie Tellers / call centre staff or processing staff ? These are usually relatively easy positions to train up so the lack of training isn't considered a negative when recruiting.

Btw I agree with Rainyday that, all things being equal, the reason the contractors didn't get the job was because the bank thought that other people were more suitable.

Back