AIB Maestro card-same as Visa?

stanbowles

condition of freebanking with aib is having one of their new laser atm cards called a Maestro card

i currently have an AIB banklink and visa card

talked to a local AIB bank staffer and she said that the Maestro card could replace my VISA as well as my ATM card ... this would be additional savings on govt taxes as well as free AIB banking so sounds interesting

BUT is this true? I use VISA for lots of stuff, travel, online purchases, occasionally as ATM cashcard when away (if banklink does not work) so would need to be sure that the new Maestro card had the same possibilities

thanks for advising
stan

Re: aib maestro card

No-the Maestro card is a debit card, which is not the same thing as a credit card (there are Visa debit cards, but these are not available in Ireland).

A debit card can replace a credit card-whenever it is accepted (it may not be acceptable for many online retailers for instance). Maestro is more widely accepted abroad than Laser, but is still in no way a like-for-like substutute for Visa.

I would certainly get a debit card (Maestro), but would hang on to the credit card as well.

thanks ccovich, as I suspected!
will keep the CC for now, and change the banklink for a maestro
stan

In case it's not obvious (!), AIB's Maestro card includes the BankLink facility so withdrawals abroad are not subject to charges (unlike Visa) providing the current account is in credit or overdraft facility has been arranged. I find it great and changed the Pin Number so it's the same as the Visa card. Have never been able to use it online as CCOVICH says.

Re: aib maestro card

CCOVICH said:
No-the Maestro card is a debit card, which is not the same thing as a credit card (there are Visa debit cards, but these are not available in Ireland).

Also even if Visa debit cards were eventually to be available in Ireland they are still not a complete substitute for a Visa credit card you might have issues with hotels, car hire etc. Seems to be mostly the kind of transactions where they need to do a preauthorisation of funds on you card like a deposit for the excess on a car hire or hotel charges.

AIB Maestro - how long for transcation to show?

Another Q on the topic of Maestro/Laser:
I made a purchase in the UK on Sunday April 30th with my AIB Maestro/laser card. I know it can often take a few days for a laser purchase before the money comes out of your a/c but is such a delay normal? Thanks

Why does this take so long, seeing as most Debit Card Transactions are now done electronically, online?

Are you referring to chip and pin where people input their cards into a terminal? I'm not sure that this equates to 'real time' processing in all cases?

Keep in mind that you are replying to a thread that is over a year old.

Anybody else experienced a "Card Expired" error when trying to purchase product with Maestro Card? (from easons online store if it's any help)

I use 3v Vouchers to do my online buying from abroad, if that's any help.

Charges are very high on these unless I'm mistaken or things have changed in the last while.

It's €5 surcharge on every voucher*, that's all. Only up to €350 (in incriments of €10) max credit per voucher.

*There's a new promotional offer on. Buy a €20 voucher and get €5 free credit. So you're really getting the voucher without the surcharge :)

It's €5 surcharge on every voucher*, that's all. Only up to €350 (in incriments of €10) max credit per voucher.
Maximum charge 25% (on a €20 voucher), minimum charge 1.43% (on €350), 1.75% forex margin on non € transactions (similar to forex on many CCs), €2.50 to redeem any unused credit. Pricey!
*There's a new promotional offer on. Buy a €20 voucher and get €5 free credit. So you're really getting the voucher without the surcharge :)
Not mentioned on their website as far as I can see...? :confused:

Very!...

...But much better suited to the weak of heart who cannot resist a new pair of shoes or new handbag I shoud guess?

Although I am quite a budget man myself! I'm still not getting a CC because i don't know much about them.
If you have link to how a CC works and the charges, conditions etc.. I be greatful ClubMan!!:)

ClubMan said:
Not mentioned on their website as far as I can see...? :confused:
Look on that page, and wait for "New: Top up your mobile here" screen to change.

NB i'm claiming that you're getting it free of surcharge. If that's what you think they say?

If you have link to how a CC works and the charges, conditions etc.. I be greatful ClubMan!!:)
IFSRA have a guide and a cost survey on this very issue that should help.
Look on that page, and wait for "New: Top up your mobile here" screen to change.
Oh - I see. I use Flashblock in Firefox to block annoying Flash content by default so didn't see that.

does anyone know what differences there may be between Laser Card(with Cirrus and Banklink) vs. Visa (Halifax) Debit Card, especially in regards to use abroad within and outside of the EU/Eurozone?
(If I'm not mistaken, I just read on the Halifax faq pages that their VISA use outside the EU incurs a 15€ fee for transactions..which seems rather high to me?!)
can cash be withdrawn within the Eurozone without charges via VISA debitCard, as with Cirrus/Banklink?
or may Cirrus/Banklink and VISA debitCard even not be mutually exclusive?!

I just read on the Halifax faq pages that their VISA use outside the EU incurs a 15€ fee for transactions..which seems rather high to me?!)
Surely that is not correct unless it's for cash advances or something? Normally (on credit cards) the only charges on non eurozone transactions are a foreign exchange margin (usually c. 1.75%-2%), charges and/or interest on cash advances and maybe some other transaction charges in some cases.

Back