AIB & BOI - Summary of bail out terms

If the shareholders don't fire their whole board after what has happened to their investment then they deserve those incompetents.

Whose the shareholers. The only ones left are gamblers and the government.

Its only a small issue but I thought they might have compelled the banks to pass on any further cuts in the E.C.B. rate?
And if they really wanted to be radical and show that the government were as concerned about ordinary people as they are the bankers. Why not force the banks to write off 5-10% of the mortgage of people who have 1 residence which is there P.R.U.
I dont have a mortgage at the moment so I do not have a vested interest in this suggestion.It is surely a better suggestion than putting off repossessions for a year?If someone loses their job today, In the current climate the chances of being employed in the next year is minimal.If they are lucky enough to get a job then it is likely to be on lower wages so a reduction in the amount of their mortgage or even just paying the reduced interest payments would give them a better chance of holding onto the house.

summary fo bailout terms:

'burn through that 7bn there lads, plenty more where that came from'

Its only a small issue but I thought they might have compelled the banks to pass on any further cuts in the E.C.B. rate?
And if they really wanted to be radical and show that the government were as concerned about ordinary people as they are the bankers. Why not force the banks to write off 5-10% of the mortgage of people who have 1 residence which is there P.R.U.
I dont have a mortgage at the moment so I do not have a vested interest in this suggestion.It is surely a better suggestion than putting off repossessions for a year?If someone loses their job today, In the current climate the chances of being employed in the next year is minimal.If they are lucky enough to get a job then it is likely to be on lower wages so a reduction in the amount of their mortgage or even just paying the reduced interest payments would give them a better chance of holding onto the house.
I don't see why the banks should be made pass on the ECB cuts on variable rates. Why should the state see to it that homeowners uniformly benefit? The banks still operate to make a profit for their investors, that has not changed!
Why write off performing mortgages. The bank should be allowed to get back their money, at a decent margin where possible, to
1. ensure that the exposure of the tax payer is as limited as possible
2. the return to investors (including the €7bn being stumped up by the tax payer) is as good as possible
The guarantee was to protect depositors
The recapitalisation is to stimulate activity
The term bail-out is a complete misnomer as no one has been bailed out from their debts nor should they be
And I'm a mortgage holder!

If you pass on the rate cut, more money in your pocket. Money that you will hopefully spend to stimulate economy?

I don't see why the banks should be made pass on the ECB cuts on variable rates. Why should the state see to it that homeowners uniformly benefit? The banks still operate to make a profit for their investors, that has not changed!
Why write off performing mortgages. The bank should be allowed to get back their money, at a decent margin where possible, to
1. ensure that the exposure of the tax payer is as limited as possible
2. the return to investors (including the €7bn being stumped up by the tax payer) is as good as possible
The guarantee was to protect depositors
The recapitalisation is to stimulate activity
The term bail-out is a complete misnomer as no one has been bailed out from their debts nor should they be
And I'm a mortgage holder!

performing mortgages/profit for investors/decent margins-- of couse none of these are the sentiments and the prevalence of a greed culture that has got us to where we are?
I have no problem with the banks making A profit but they really need to return to a certain level of customer focus and appreciation.How profitable will the balance sheets of these banks be when the thousands of jobless " give" the houses back to the banks and they are left with an asset they can not sell which is depreciating by the day.
Share price falls today show how many investors are lining up for the banks and most economists who have called it right so far are predicting nationalisation in the end anyway.
I did not suggest every home owner should benefit I suggested people with 1 home that is the P.R.U.

Full nationalisation of the banks can't really be a good thing can it? That would make them just another arm of the public sector and we know how efficient that is. It will cost more in the long term if banks are all state owned as the incentive to compete is gone.

Back