Aib Authenticator App

TheGuy

When will Aib get this app working. Does anyone have any tips apart from changing bank.It worked once in 8 attempts over 2 days.The chap on phone said it rarely fails for online purchases and would not connect me with a supervisor .Reviews on Internet do not agree.

At the final purchase stage it won't load or will not return to sellers site.I have spoke to customer services who have given different solutions .I have removed app and reinstalled as advised still no joy.Spoke to customer services again today who told me they could see everything was OK. Tried again won't work.I have looked again at review sites for this app not good reviews.

It works fine for me.

But I seem to remember that there was once or twice when I authenticated something and went back to the website and they hadn't received the authentication. I had assumed it was user error on my part.

Brendan

When will Aib get this app working. Does anyone have any tips apart from changing bank.It worked once in 8 attempts over 2 days.The chap on phone said it rarely fails for online purchases and would not connect me with a supervisor .Reviews on Internet do not agree.
any chance you have changed phone?

Do you receive the notification that it is seeking approval to authorise the payment? I find if I tap on the notification it brings me straight to approval screen within the app(once login completed) , makes it run smoother for me anyway...

I recently had to login to my phone app at the same time and find the notification that way. It used to contact me directly before. I have notifications on in the phone app settings.
Note: I did change my phone last April and nearly all banking apps was a nightmare as I needed to re-verify and get new postal pins.

Are you making sure that the AIB app is fully closed down before starting your purchase? My husband had a similar issue recently but the problem was he wasn't closing the app before trying to make a purchase. With his (ancient) iPhone he needed to click the home button twice to show up all the apps that weren't shut down, and then swipe up the AIB screen to close it. Once he had done that it worked.

Thanks for all your replies .I had already done everything suggested .Checking Internet speed,opening closing app ,checking phone set up etc, etc,.Life is to short I'm nearly at retirement and for the first time in my life I throw in the towel.Totally frustrated I'm off to another Bank.Thanks again all

Totally frustrated I'm off to another Bank.
I have no suggestions on how to resolve your issues with the AIB app, but having moved bank a few years ago I found it incredibly frustrating and stressful.

I think trying to move bank today with all of Ulster Bank and KBC’s customer’s trying to do the same, would be a far more frustrating than trying to resolve the app issue.

Myself and most of AIB's customers have no problems with the app, it does work.

Last edited:
Not a fix for the awful app but instead I use Curve Card ( curve dot com) with an AIB credit card loaded, usually gives me the option to confirm payment within the Curve App or via sms.
However, Curve will be charging for commercial cards in the future

I've used this app for some time now. When I first set it up, the guidance was miserable because they didn't state anywhere that you have to use a personal account login which has to be tied to your business account. A support agent admitted to me that they were inundated with setup issues, especially that one because it wasn't documented anywhere.

Got over that hurdle and have used it since for quite some time with only the usual problems that sometimes the notifications take a few minutes to arrive or sometimes just don't. I've managed.

The latest is that it's just stopped working, can't get past the login button. Fairly tech savvy, have tried all the known steps, support have got me to run through them multiple times and I've been promised a callback from their tech team for weeks now, having provided as clear information as I can, screenshots, software versions, the works. Essentially, I can't use my business credit card to purchase anything online. They have no alternative mechanism like SMS.

The whole roll-out seems to have been done in a rush job, despite PSD2 requirements on 2 factor authentication being flagged well in advance. Poorly rolled out and it continues to be under resourced.

I've set up a Revolut business account and will be shutting down my AIB credit card.

Back