AIB Atm Card-New Laser

almo

Just a question that I haven't found an answer to. I'm sitting here in Croatia, my ATM card not working, I called AIB, they said it's my fault as my new Laser card means my old ATM is out of date. However, I didn't order a new card, never got a new card, never was notified about a new card or not being able to use my old ATM.

Is it mandatory to have the new laser?

Received a new AIB Laser card about two months ago. Previously had an ATM card that didn't have Laser. Didn't request it, it just arrived unannounced.

That's what I'm wondering about, will this new card cost more? Is it manadatory?

What do you mean by "cost more"? You will pay the normal stamp duty which is probably pair or due anyway if you are already using an existing card.

Hi,

I have an AIB ATM card but have not recieved new laser yet. As far as I know they are replacing all atm cards with new ones that have laser facility. The charge will stay the same as the old one if you do not use the laser facility on it, if you do use it as a laser card, then extra government stamp duty applies ,extra €10 per year.

What I mean is what bob24 has just answered, will you have to pay for laser and atm charges (I 've never used laser and avoided it, not in a luddite way) and thus this new card comes sneakily with a phantom tax. I've phoned AIB tice but they couldn't answer me on it.

What do you mean by "cost more"? You will pay the normal stamp duty which is probably pair or due anyway if you are already using an existing card.

Ah - I see. If you had an ATM only card and then get a dual ATM/Laser card then the SD charge is different. However the SD charge on each may only be charged when you actually use the card so you may not pay for, say, Laser that you don't use. Check out the Revenue summary guide to SD on credit/debit/bank cards.

when i changed from cashsave account to high interest current with AIB a few months back I had to upgrade to a laser - did you change account type?

Thanks Clubman, am just doing that now, my problem is that I'm just out of the proverbial loop in this change, plus no one is at home (family home) to get hold of in order to read out instructions etc, I never actually got the laser card or documents.

pc7, no, same account since my student days, which is probably very unwise of me, but I travel alot and live most of the time abroad, so keeping it simple is the best for someone so lacking in grey matter as myself!

they were quite shocked I still had a cashsave when I rang to change to high interest so know what its like! :)

Ah - I see. If you had an ATM only card and then get a dual ATM/Laser card then the SD charge is different. However the SD charge on each may only be charged when you actually use the card so you may not pay for, say, Laser that you don't use. Check out the Revenue summary guide to SD on credit/debit/bank cards.
See [broken link removed]:
Section A: ATM Cards, Debit Cards and Combined Cards

How much is the duty?
  • €10 per year per ATM card (also known as cash card)
  • €10 per year per debit (Laser) card
  • €20 per combined (ATM & debit) card if both functions (ATM& debit) are used during the year
  • €10 per combined card if only one function (ATM or debit ) is used during the year. This rule applies from January 2006; prior to this there was a flat charge of €20 id the card was used during the year.
Looks like if you don't use the ATM or Laser feature at all then you don't get hit for the relevant €10 SD on each.

Back