AH: Galway City: "ah sure you'll be waitin years yet!"

galway2008

i was hoping somone might be able to give me little more info on affordable housing in the galway city area... i've noticed alot of the dublin based members are aware of af.housing that is under construction or newly completed. every time i try an enquire with galway city co about future builds i get fobbed off with "ah sure you'll be waitin years yet!!" or "nothing being built in the near future anyway"
there seems to be no time frame at all as to when someone could expect to be allocated housing..
any body from galway have any idea of proposed a.f in the near future??
thanks

Hi Galway2008 and welcome to AAM!

Ive changed your title somewhat to more fully reflect the question. Let me know if this is ok.

aj
AAM moderator

Hi Galway2008, i just noticed your post from Jan, did you hear anything back about AH in galway? I applied in Sept last year and still havent heard whether i got accepted or not... Any info would be great. Thanks.

I've submitted an application to Galway County Council for an affordable house. I've received a letter confirming that I have been put on 'the list' for the areas I requested.
Is that it??! No further info re time frame or developments that are currently in the pipe line?? No info regarding my place on the list?? Doesnt seem like a very transparent system....

Hi Galway2008.. I was looking at the AF housing also in galway. I'd wondered what the tax clearance cert and the inspector of taxes cart thats been looked for. can you tell me how to get a copy of these ? Thanks..

i applied 2.5 years ago. the council wrote to me in January this year looking for updated information and I got an offer earlier this week in Na Blatha Creige, Clybaun Rd. Have a viewing next week. Took a look up there the other day, the houses are awful and I don't think i'll be accepting it. They also have houses in Roscam for allocation.

Hi Galway2008.. I was looking at the AF housing also in galway. I'd wondered what the tax clearance cert and the inspector of taxes cart thats been looked for. can you tell me how to get a copy of these ? Thanks..

The council gives you a form that you take to the Revenue Office for stamping. The Revenue Office staff will tell you that you don't need a tax clearance cert and that the council need to amend their documentation.

I've submitted an application to Galway County Council for an affordable house. I've received a letter confirming that I have been put on 'the list' for the areas I requested.
Is that it??! No further info re time frame or developments that are currently in the pipe line?? No info regarding my place on the list?? Doesnt seem like a very transparent system....

They don't give you a lot of information. I believe its a points system but they're thinking of changing it to a time based system. be prepared to be patient.

Laosie06, how did your viewing in Na Blatha Creige go? Did you hear of any other developments that will have affordable housing?

All the info on affordable housing is on the council website. Registering to be on the list, so to speak, is only the first step. My husband and I are going through the process at the moment and we started by looking on the websites to see if the scheme was sutable for us and that is were we found all the info we need to complete our application, about mortages and repayments, houses availible and whom to contact about viewing or buying.

Galway City Council:
[broken link removed]

Galway County Council:
[broken link removed]

Houses Available:
[broken link removed]

As far as I am aware the houses are always available and once you have decided on which house you would like to buy then you arange your mortgage, etc, the same as buying any other house. We were only placed on the list about a week ago and have already received a call to view a houseing development in Athenary. Being placed on the list is only the first step, you need to complete the application forms and submitt them too, and actively seek out the houses by contact the housing department in the council to view houses.

I hope this helps, feel free to email me if its unclear. Best of luck to you all.

Back