ageing concrete with yogurt ??

tick tock

has anybody used yogurt or milk to take the new look of concrete window sills...if you have please tell me your exprience and results..

Last edited:
Re: yogurt on concrete

Haven't heard of this before, why would you need to take the new look off them and not just let the weather do the job for you?

Not on concrete but I did know someone who used natural yogurt of cheap terracotta pots to make them look antique, it worked nicely on them. LS.

my house is stone faced and the sills just dont look right..too bright and concretey..i was told by a friend that painting them with yogurt would encourage lichens and moss to grow.but he hadnt tried this himself.

Thought this was a Heston Blumenthal recipe thread....mmmmmm.

no ...he would have served custard with his concrete and gravel on the side...

Last edited:
I eat yogurt, and I look really old, so it does work:)
But joking aside it does work ,must be a live yogert though.

thank you for that.....i will do it...think i will make my own recessionary yogurt..much cheaper

I never heard of this before, sounds good. I do a lot of work with concrete (not precast) and to age footpaths, etc., I use a mixture of sugar and water applied to the wet concrete which I then remove with a power washer the following day. It acts as a retardant so the concrete below cures as normal but the very top skin of 'fat' doesnt. When its washed off it exposes the aggregate in the concrete to give an aged look.

I've used it on stone in a rockery and also old wooden sleepers I have in the garden, its a well known tip in the gardening age to encourage moss and algae to grow.

It works.

yeah it does work in the garden. I've used it too. Worked well on the bricks I used to build a border with. Lots of moss etc growing on it. It probably will work on the sills though do you want moss etc growing on them?

It will work better if you scrape some lichen off a stone or surface nearby - stick it in a blender with the yoghurt, then pour it over the surface you need to cover. Keep the cats away or they'll lick it off!

The image of opening the curtains in the morning to be greeted by all the neighbourhood's cat licking the window sill ,will be with me for some time:D

It will work better if you scrape some lichen off a stone or surface nearby - stick it in a blender with the yoghurt, then pour it over the surface you need to cover. Keep the cats away or they'll lick it off!

I don't think I could scrape something off a rock and then put it in my blender...

ha ha...i love that image of the cats...i painted the yogurt on just one sill (wife insisted only one)on sunday. it dried in half an hour.the sill looks like it has a skin.the dog was on the sniff but couldnt reach it.i presume it will go mouldy first?????
looking forward to the results...does moss grow facing south????

I've seen someone in the US 'age' concrete by using an oxy torch - causes the conc to 'spall'.....

Back