After terminal delays...any Taxiing delays at Dublin Airport.

I have to fly to the US on Sunday for work. The bad side of lockdown being over.
Has anyone done so recently and if so any advice?

I've a Covid test booked for Saturday, the ESTA done and the Verifly App downloaded. I'm planning on arriving 3.5 hours before the flight.

I have to fly to the US on Sunday for work. The bad side of lockdown being over.
Has anyone done so recently and if so any advice?

I've a Covid test booked for Saturday, the ESTA done and the Verifly App downloaded. I'm planning on arriving 3.5 hours before the flight.
I'd say 3.5h is a lot. Flying myself on Sunday, after my last trip mid March.
As long as you have the test done on Saturday, vaccine cert and ESTA sorted it should be a painless experience. (Well, as much as long flights go painless anyways).

I'd say 3.5h is a lot. Flying myself on Sunday, after my last trip mid March.
As long as you have the test done on Saturday, vaccine cert and ESTA sorted it should be a painless experience. (Well, as much as long flights go painless anyways).
Thanks.
My usual pre-covid routine for domestic flights (within the EU) in the airport 20*-30 munities before the flight closed. I don't go to the US for holidays. I like the place but it's just more hassle than it's worth.

What time is your flight Sunday? We flew recently at 12 on a Saturday, got in over 3 hours and sailed through Security in T1. Issue seems to be mostly for flights before 9am when there's a huge cluster of people, though Sunday should be a lot quieter.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has flown recently.

I suffer from claustrophobia and the thoughts of sitting on a plane wearing a mask is prompting me to reconsider an upcoming holiday. Sitting on a plane with a closed door on a runway waiting for takeoff is something I dread. Combining, wearing a facemask and sitting in an enclosed space waiting for a plane to take off, can be panic attack time for me.

I assume that Facemasks are still compulsory on planes? Is the temperature on the plane cool or are the staff/pilots putting on the heating to warm up the cabin. Are the pilots and staff aware how stuffy it can be on the plane especially when wearing a mask. I prefer the cabin temperature cool to the point of it being cold.

How long before boarding are planes taking off?

Thanks
Have you tried an N95 mask? I find that gives me much more "space" and makes me feel more comfortable, the previous cotton masks were too tight to my mouth and I suffer a bit from claustrophobia as well. I'd say very few flights have passengers on board for very long before take-off, it's not in their interests to do so. Our recent flight to Iceland had a very short period before take-off. If you're happy to risk not being able to have your bag directly over your seat you could make sure you're more or less last to board which should ease your anxiety.

Sitting on a plane with a closed door on a runway waiting for takeoff is something I dread.
In my experience Dublin airport is not a big problem as the terminals are quite close to the runways. Boarding to take-off relatively quick, same on landing. I've never measured it systematically but there have been times where from taking seat to being airborne is under 10 minutes from DUB.

Airports like Charles de Gaulle are very bad in this regard as planes have to taxi a lot from the gates to runways.

Have you tried an N95 mask?
Good idea. I have not tried these myself. I still have 3 boxes of the other types to get through yet.....

I was in Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt recently. I thought that I was going to faint from the excessive heat in the store.

I think it is the pilot on the plane that decides if the air conditioning should be on or off. They should all be aware that a cooler cabin is far more comfortable that a hot stuffy cabin. Unfortunately most don't.

I think it is the pilot on the plane that decides if the air conditioning should be on or off. They should all be aware that a cooler cabin is far more comfortable that a hot stuffy cabin. Unfortunately most don't.
The engines need to be running above an idle for the on-board compressors to run the main air-con system, so the captain and crew will all be experiencing the same conditions as the passengers. Pilots need to stay alert, so it's not like they want to be in a sticky environment.

Some airports will supply ground air or ground power to run the main air-con, but availability varies by airport and aircraft model. I don't know the set up in Dublin, but I doubt they'd need a ground air supply. Even if available, the budget carriers who want quick turn-arounds wouldn't use it.

Bring a bottle of water and drink away, so you can keep the mask off. But as someone else mentioned, not a lot of passengers wearing then these days.

Bring a bottle of water and drink away, so you can keep the mask off. But as someone else mentioned, not a lot of passengers wearing then these days.
and buy a coffee on board ..... They kept repeating that you don't need a mask when eating or drinking coffee on board during my last flight.

We walked straight to security at Terminal 1, Dublin Airport last week. There was a delay after walking through the scanner as, it seems, that one out of every two bags were being swabbed. This caused us a delay of 15 minutes.

We were then standing in the stairwell, for 15 minutes, waiting for the doors to open after going through the boarding procedure. Another 5 minutes waiting at the bottom of the steps of the plane until the staff on board were ready.

We then were sitting on the plane for 30 minutes before take off.

So there are other flashpoints for delays at Dublin Airport....not just the queue before security.

Back