After terminal delays...any Taxiing delays at Dublin Airport.

Laramie

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has flown recently.

I suffer from claustrophobia and the thoughts of sitting on a plane wearing a mask is prompting me to reconsider an upcoming holiday. Sitting on a plane with a closed door on a runway waiting for takeoff is something I dread. Combining, wearing a facemask and sitting in an enclosed space waiting for a plane to take off, can be panic attack time for me.

I assume that Facemasks are still compulsory on planes? Is the temperature on the plane cool or are the staff/pilots putting on the heating to warm up the cabin. Are the pilots and staff aware how stuffy it can be on the plane especially when wearing a mask. I prefer the cabin temperature cool to the point of it being cold.

How long before boarding are planes taking off?

Thanks

I flew with Ryanair a few weeks ago. Everything was normal except for the facemasks. The cabin was normal temperature, not overly hot. Try to book a seat in row one near the front door. You will have lots of space in front of you and that door will be opened until shorty before they taxi.

My experience is that mask wearing has become technically mandatory but quasi optional.

In that a few months ago, the cabin crew would give people grief for not wearing a mask, whereas now they rarely say anything.

But if you’re claustrophobic, it might be worth getting a letter/exemption from your GP for mask wearing.

Maybe you can do a jedi mind trick to think of your mask as a 'shield' to the outside... tough if stuffy and warm though.

Pre covid I used to bring a quality proper cotton (not tissue) white mens handkerchief when flying. I found the cabins stuffy and warm but breathing into one of them felt cooling on the face.

Buy some baby wipes when you get through security and use to cool down forehead and back of neck.

Marks and spencers do mens trekking cargo style gear. You can get shorts or combi zipoff ones. I wear the combi ones and if hot on the plane / bus I can roll the legs up to over my knee. The pockets are handy for passport docs etc

Flew recently with Ryanair and a friend had a similar experience, 60-90 min taxiing delays with a warm cabin and mask wearing.
That's some time to be sitting on the runway waiting for take off. I also notice that the pilot will not switch on the air con until the plane is airborne leading to overly hot stuffy cabins. I would have thought that the staff would have been aware how uncomfortable this is for many passengers and try to cool down the cabin.

I suffer from claustrophobia and the thoughts of sitting on a plane wearing a mask is prompting me to reconsider an upcoming holiday.

I don't suffer from claustrophobia but would be too impatient to go to an airport 3 1/2 hours before flight and to be stuck on the other side in a crowded space for 2 1/2 hours. I also didn't fancy worrying about delays getting back.

So it was simplest to just cancel/defer the holiday until I can relax and fully enjoy it.

Brendan

I agree . If I was that worried about crowds and delays etc I would be waiting until the crowds have decreased . The worry alone would spoil the enjoyment of a holiday. Also in a few months the requirement to wear masks may have changed somewhat .
I think wait it out for another while.

The worst part of any holiday , in my opinion, was always the waiting around the Airports . We are due to fly in about four weeks time so hope the Airport situation will be better . I would not be worried but would not enjoy the crowds and queuing for everything.

The worst part of any holiday , in my opinion, was always the waiting around the Airports . We are due to fly in about four weeks time so hope the Airport situation will be better . I would not be worried but would not enjoy the crowds and queuing for everything.
Gone are the days where you’d spent the night at the airport.
Op maybe have a chat with your Gp in advance of your flight.

The queues are bad security first thing in morning, peak rush 6am - 9am... if you have say a lunchtime flight they are not far off pre covid times.

I flew back into Dublin Friday morning after 6 nights in US. No delays getting through security here, no delays taking off. Main issue at airport was not enough hospitality options open for amount of people at airport. Pretty much everyone on the Aer Lingus flight wore their mask at all times except when eating or drinking. Food on board was dreadful BTW. If I was as anxious as you sound, I think I would postpone my trip.

ps another thing to try is wear mask around at home, wear it in the garden. get comfortable with it so when you have to wear it, it is less of an imposition. Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. If its a blue \ surgical type mask pinch the nose strip tight to the bridge of your nose to create a seal. The mask is there to filter all the crap out from getting to you, let it create an extension\bubble\zone of your own space around you.

Flown 6 or 7 times in last 9 months with no delays in taxiing. Plane is hot before captain starts engine but I have a toilet/kitchen roll centre cut to about 1 or 2 inches which I put inside my mask to leave a distance between mask cloth and mouth to leave an air hole. Failing that just wear mask under nose for air when hot. Is the ferry an alternative ? Really got to like it over the last few years again but limiting.

Is the ferry an alternative ? Really got to like it over the last few years again but limiting.
Something that I have to look in to. Maybe consider ferry plus train for onward journeys as a foot passenger. I like the idea of cutting a piece kitchen roll but does it not become moist?

Why are planes so hot?

I had to fly lately. Thought airport would be the problem. It was fine and no issues with boarding plane or being left on tarmac. I forgot to mention that I was there hours before the flight and it was a self-service check-in. I didn't think they would let me check-in but they did so was able to go through early but I didn't see any issues with people going through at any stage so I'd say once you'd give yourself plenty of time it should be fine.

Last edited:
Back