Affordable Housing with Fingal Co Co

Re: Affordable Housing with Fingal

Hi fingal1

As I said above I got a letter in the post telling me to call them if I would like to view properties in Balbriggan on Sat 18th of Nov and in Kinsealy on Sat 25th Nov.
I called and told them I would be intersted in seeing properties in both locations. They then called me back a few days later to say they had compiled the lists for the appointments and said they could not offer me appointments because they did not come to my name on the list...
Why they sent me a letter I do not know, surely if I'm that far down the list they should have know they could not honour the appointments.
I was so disapointed.

anyway, I asked the lady I spoke to was there any more viewings coming up, she said there would be some in cityside in the coming months and other than that she did not know of any...so there you go, not very hopeful.

Sorry!!

C.

Hi ci1,

Thanks for that-Ive heard that the apartments and houses in cityside are supposed to be lovely.

Fingal seem to get your hopes up unnecessarily, we got offered a viewing 2 months after getting approval, but the person literally before us on the list got it. Fingal never mentioned that there would be other people viewing the property at the same time...Just need patience it seems!!

Did anyone view the fingal properties in Kettles lane ? Any view on same, I had an offer on one however i couldn't make it so got a friend to reserve a two bed duplex for me but i haven't a clue what the inside is like. Heard that 45 is for social housing, anyone else hear the same.

I viewed the property on Kettles lane and the are beautiful. Very price thought for something that is ment to be affordable but worth it me thinks. They have 2 bedroom apartments on the ground floor and 2 & 3 duplex apartments on the up. The rooms are a tard small, just like the Balbriggan ones but like I said earlier, but the living rooms are very big & very lovely. The 2 bedroom apartments and 2 duplex apartments have open plan kithchens and it has been constructed in a way that you can have the divider or ledge as a breakfast table or you can put up glass to seperate the kitchen from the living room if you are not a big fan of open plan kitchens. The 3 beds are seperate kitchens. The best part of the house is the balcony. It's bigger than your average ones with a view of the M1 and with privacy. All the 2 & 3 bed duplexes all have roof windows (not sure what they are called) in the bathrooms. The duplexes all have 2 bathrooms, 1 down full 1 up. They only have 55 total available to sell. Total maximum loan for all of them is €185k. 2 bed apartment is €9000 deposit, 2 bed duplex is €23500 doposit and the 3 bed is €34500 deposit. Hope this helps.

We reserved a 3 bed. Anyone have any experience of going the shared ownership route with fingal as we were not expecting the deposit to be so large (34,000). It looked like about 1/4 was for social housing and the rest was affordable which i think is a good thing. There will be nobody renting and therefore all owner occupied. theres a car spot for each unit even though they're not reserved.

Yes Sammie, my eyes popped out of its socket when I saw the price too. :eek:

I finally got my approval letter in July after a 2 month long debate. I got denied by a very lovely lady who told me straight on that she doesn't think she can pass me through because of the type of car I drive (Merc). Personally I didn't see what that has got to do with anything but her and her manager were not burging. So I filed a complaint and the first person that looked over it came back and still agreed with them that they had a right to denied me because of the same reason (I kid you not). So, I too to the next step and file another complaint to a higher authority and I wrote that my next complait would be read through the news paper.
I can tell you now they didnt deny you your approval becuase you have a merc. If they didnt approve you it was probably the QUANTITY of the loan you had out on the car. I find your story VERY hard to believe!

I've been housed on the affordable housing scheme in Fingal and i found the staff in Fingal very helpful. I didnt ring up every day to pressure them, i didnt give out about positioning on lists etc. It's a case of when they have something you get offered. It's a waiting game, if you dont want to play this game take you 25 grand deposit and go to Bank of Ireland, they'll have you housed in days and paying it back for 40 years as opposed to 25 and for double your montyly repayment!

In my eyes they were professional and curteous and in fact the months i was left waiting for a call i appreciated the breathing space to save more money and in the end that extra money stood to me in the difference of getting a 2 bed apartment to a 3 bed house.

Guys even after acccpeting a property you have to pace yourselfs...thigns like this you'll have the rest of your life to sort out. Im 23 and its a frightening step, you'll get the right place and if you dont keep your options open. Like i said before , it's a waiting game, enjoy the time of your life and try your best to save as much as possible as you'll have plenty of time (25-30 years) to think about it!

Oh and good lukc with learnign the art of direct Debit ;)

Housedfingal,

were you on the list long before you got your first offer?

Housedfingal,

were you on the list long before you got your first offer?

6-7 months....had only 1 offer and took the 2nd which fell favourably. Have to say that i thought the staff, one girl workin there was very polite and professional and if hadnt been for her i wouldnt have been in current home.

Thanks,

From what dealings we've had with the staff we've found them to be very nice and helpful too!

We got approved in August... were not expecting to hear anything til March/april next year-any sooner would be a bonus!!

Just a matter of waiting

Topsido, thanks alot for the information on the properties in kettles lane, great description. I agree with you, i was shocked to hear the prices because in Fingals letter it said the three bed was 205,000 if i remember rightly. This is the most expensive property i have ever been offered from fingal so they have obviously put up their prices. Unfortunately I have yet to gain access to see the property i have reserved. Seems a good location though.

Hi All, just catching up on this.

I was not too surprised about the cost of the houses, I drove up to have a look and they are indeed really lovely, and ideal location.

What I was surprised about was the deposit of 34,000....

Don't know about all of you but I'm saving hard and I would not be near having that kind of deposit if they asked me for it...furthermore even if I did I'd be applying for an ordinary mortgage and living without all this waiting.

I don't see what is affordable about asking for that kind of deposit.
fair play to anyone that has it, its really great to get somewhere like Kettles Lane.
I'd be saving for another year at least to accumulate that kind of money.

C.

the reason they are asking for that deposit is cuase the maximum loan they can give is 185,000, therefore the difference is 34,000. They do offer the shared ownership option if people dont have that type of deposit.

ci1 by the time the year runs through and with the way things currently are right now, the prices would have gone up.

Hello.
We got offered one of th e3 beds in drynam avenue kettles lane, and have handed in a snag list but no more from fingal since sending them the snaglist. has anyone heard back from fingal regarding their snag list completion yet.
Thanks

chelk could i ask you how long u were waiting? were u on the local list and the price if ur willing to say. Thanks.

Hello Fingall aff,
We were on the local list and got accepted around june, We viewed places in november in Blbriggan and later in kinsealy, we didnt get to put in an offer in balbriggan as we were too far down the list. the next week we viewd kinsealy and reserved one of the 3 bed duplex's, they were priced at 219k, fingal loan max is 185k so we had to provide a deposit of 34K which was very difficult and involved a lot of sacrafice.
WE got final loan approval at the end of december and were contacted after christmas to come out and do a snag list around jan 9th, we got a builder to do the snag list and we sent it in to fingal, havent eard anything now for past 2 1/2 weeks,,,has anyone else heard anything

Back