Affordable Housing: What to expect in the interview?

sheena42

I have applied for affordable housing and have my interview coming up
next week, just wondering has anyone been for an interview for this
already?? Or does anyone know anyone that has been successful in getting a house.

Re: Affordable Housing

I got an apartment. Really they will just be looking to assess your financial situation, in particular whether you are in the habit of saving anything and how much of a mortgage they could give you. Also to let you know what kind of property you will be eligible for.

How long after applying did you have to wait before you were called for interview?

I can't remember but it wasn't that long, maybe a month or two? I do remember how long the general process took - I applied initally in May, looked at the apartment in Sept, signed for it in February. I remember being really surprised that there wasn't more people on the waiting lists.

I applied in September, but its only now that the scheme is after coming in to place in the area I want. Do you know how it calculated eg I was told a housing costing in the region of 230k you will get the cost price which is aprox 30k?

i applied last year circa april on the scheme. i was offered an apt in june that they said was worth 268k on the open market which i felt was an over generous estimate. The amt that they were charging me was 174k which was 65% of value so if i were to sell the apt within the first 10 years they would have a clawback of 35% on the sale price whatever that would be.

Just wondering what is the pay threshold is to get an affordable house??

when i applied as far as i remember it was 36k. now i think that it is around 40k but i stand to be corrected ,plus i think that different co councils have different thresholds

Art said:
Just wondering what is the pay threshold is to get an affordable house??

See here for details:

Quote from that page:
The income test
Single income household
If your gross income (before tax) in the last income tax year was 40,000 euro or less (from January 2006, previously the limit was 36,500 euro), you are eligible.

Two income households
Multiply the gross income (before tax) of the higher earner in the last income tax year by 2.5 and add the gross income of the other earner in the last income tax year. If the answer is 100,000 or less (from January 2006, previously the limit was 92,000 euro), you are eligible.

sheena42 said:
I applied in September, but its only now that the scheme is after coming in to place in the area I want. Do you know how it calculated eg I was told a housing costing in the region of 230k you will get the cost price which is aprox 30k?

What area of preference did you choose? Tallaght or Lucan?

Is there no hope of getting one if you are over the limit slightly but about 17k in debt????

Judybaby73 said:
Is there no hope of getting one if you are over the limit slightly
Isn't there an interview process? Might be an idea to sober up before it.

ClubMan said:
Isn't there an interview process? Might be an idea to sober up before it.

I feel I need a miracle clubman!! and other ideas?? Looking here it appears there are very few houses available!!!1

marygold said:
How much (savings) did you have at your account when applied?

Marygold if that question was aimed at me then my answer is i have about 1000euro in savings!! nothing for someone on a good salary I know but I had a huge relationship with Brown Thomas and French Connection-which has now ceased! (well kind of anyway!) Im not going to get an affordable house. I know that much so its wasting more money on rent for the foreseeable future for me ...boo hiss

Judybaby73 said:
Marygold if that question was aimed at me then my answer is i have about 1000euro in savings!! nothing for someone on a good salary I know but I had a huge relationship with Brown Thomas and French Connection-which has now ceased! (well kind of anyway!) Im not going to get an affordable house. I know that much so its wasting more money on rent for the foreseeable future for me ...boo hiss

Your complaining about paying rent and not being able to get an affordable house after blowing €17,000 on clothes,will you get a grip.

thewatcher said:
Your complaining about paying rent and not being able to get an affordable house after blowing €17,000 on clothes,will you get a grip.

Who said anything about 17k!?????

Awh ...I see my above post which states im 17k in debt!!! Well that includes car loan and funding ones education to PhD level ....10 years at unversity. Im not complaining either as I know it was my decision to undertake this pioneer research that has helped promote the education of children with disabilities in ireland....So no "thewatcher".... not all of the 17k was spent in BT! While everyone else was getting on the property ladder I was studying my pert little ass off whch has actually made a difference to our education system! Now while I will probably be a millionaire in the future I'm not right now!

As a result don't you think i should be given a house as a reward for being good??? :>)

Have just had my affordable housing interview and everything is in order. Was told I would expect to wait at least six months before I get any offers. I am a single male in my early twentys with no dependants. Am I correct in assuming that I will be mainly offered one bed apartements? Also if I do end up getting a one bed, would it be possible to rent this out if my circumstances change in a few years?

again think that it depends on the council but i think that sdcc are trying to just give out 2 beds and above. In regards renting out i'm not sure of the contract but i would be amazed if it were allowed unless you are doing the rent a room scheme.

Back