Affordable housing unfairness

No problem in the slightest. I worried about getting my my own house and whatever other people do to get theirs is not my business. As long as they are not horrible neighbours, more power to them.

TwoWheels said:
How would you feel if you were one of the people who paid full whack & had an affordable purchaser moving in next door?

There's a lot of bitterness in this thread!!

I make nearly €60,000 a year, I'm 24 and my job (even though I've worked in the company since 1997) wouldn't be deemed 'secure' enough for a lot of banks.

The most a broker could offer me was €255,000!!!! It's just the way the mortgage world works.. it's not fair!

I'm 24 and my job (even though I've worked in the company since 1997) wouldn't be deemed 'secure' enough for a lot of banks.
Are you dealing? It's just that there are'nt many industries that employ 15yo's:D

theBatMan said:
The only reason she was given the chance to purchase the house was because she was on the programme.
I doubt it, if there was a scam going on it would not be broadcast on National Telly

Lappy said:
There's a lot of bitterness in this thread!!

I make nearly €60,000 a year, I'm 24 and my job (even though I've worked in the company since 1997) wouldn't be deemed 'secure' enough for a lot of banks.

The most a broker could offer me was €255,000!!!! It's just the way the mortgage world works.. it's not fair!

By "nearly €60,000", do you mean €35,000? Just wondering?

On a more serious note, if you have outstanding debt, such as a car loan it will reduce the amount that they will lend you.

"By "nearly €60,000", do you mean €35,000? Just wondering?"

Ehhhh excuse me? I don't recall asking your to dissect my earnings/circumstances.

It certainly does reduce what the banks will give you if you have a big car loan, hence the reason why I paid it off.

The point of the thread was about affordable housing, my point was that even though I earn a lot more than the nurse in question, the bank offered me a lot less on a euro for euro basis!

The point of the thread was about affordable housing, my point was that even though I earn a lot more than the nurse in question, the bank offered me a lot less on a euro for euro basis!
All down to public sector employment stability and the power of the unions!! The nurse can still pay back her 45 yr mortgage with her generous pension!

Glenbhoy said:
All down to public sector employment stability and the power of the unions!! The nurse can still pay back her 45 yr mortgage with her generous pension!

Agreed. And I think that although it's unfair, generally, you'll earn more in the private sector. Maybe that's the reason two people felt the need to question me - they're civil servants!! ;)

I'm considering applying for the Affordable housing scheme. I've downloaded the application from Meath CC website and notice that there is a question on existing accomadation. Will it go against me if I say that I'm currently living with my Dad in a 5 bedroom house ? I only moved home to save money.

Thanks

Teknon said:
I'm considering applying for the Affordable housing scheme. I've downloaded the application from Meath CC website and notice that there is a question on existing accomadation. Will it go against me if I say that I'm currently living with my Dad in a 5 bedroom house ? I only moved home to save money.

Thanks

I don't think it should matter as my friend was living in 3bed with just parents and so was her partner so I don't think that matters.

Just make sure you're ready to move as she only applied for it at end of Jan and already has a deposit on a place and expects to be in by July

Samson26 said:
I don't think it should matter as my friend was living in 3bed with just parents and so was her partner so I don't think that matters.

Just make sure you're ready to move as she only applied for it at end of Jan and already has a deposit on a place and expects to be in by July

Which authority did she get the house in?

Lappy said:
Agreed. And I think that although it's unfair, generally, you'll earn more in the private sector. Maybe that's the reason two people felt the need to question me - they're civil servants!! ;)

Are you sure you're living on the same planet as the rest of us? Just a few days ago a CSO survey estimated that salaries for the public sector paid on average 40% more for the equivalent private sector roles.

Teknon said:

Thanks

I think it would depend on your age, distance to work and how long you previously rented for. I know previously you had to be considered "in need of accomodation" and that if you lived at home this counted against you being "in need." The guidelines for rent allowance allow people over a certain age to move out of the family home (at the taxpayers expense of course) even where there is no need whatsoever for them to move out.

You could ring the council and ask them what they mean by this and how it is assessed. It used to be an expectation that you were renting but I'm sure this is not now the case.

lff12 said:
Are you sure you're living on the same planet as the rest of us? Just a few days ago a CSO survey estimated that salaries for the public sector paid on average 40% more for the equivalent private sector roles.

I guess it all depends on what your job is.

You'd be doing well to be even able to find a job like I do in the public sector.

Back