Affordable Housing & Rent a room

Tony

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent out a room of your affordable house and claim tax relief as you can with a normal house.

Tony

From what I hear, it seems to depend on the council - its ok with some, not with others.

In Fingal they definitely don't mind, as long as it is only one room and you stick the amount defined.

I asked a Sinn Féin councillor I know about this and he's just come back to me after speaking to the council (DCC). They told him that if you're doing Shared Ownership, you can't rent a room, because you're effectively renting the property from the council and so renting out a room would be considered subletting, which isn't allowed. However if you have a mortgage from a bank, it depends on what your agreement with the bank says.

Can anyone confirm that Fingal or other councils allow you to rent a room even if you're doing Shared Ownership?

you can't rent a room, because you're effectively renting the property from the council and so renting out a room would be considered subletting, which isn't allowed.
This doesnt sound right. It cannot be classed as subletting. Theres no tenancy agreement.

would you not be able to claim rent a room on PPR even though ppr is rented

you can't rent a room, because you're effectively renting the property from the council and so renting out a room would be considered subletting, which isn't allowed.

but with affordable housing you are buying the house not renting so for me i wouldnt see it as a problem to rent a room but i just wanted to know if anyone has done this

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
"you can't rent a room, because you're effectively renting the property from the council and so renting out a room would be considered subletting, which isn't allowed."

If you read the post above the quote above refers to "Shared Ownership" where the person buys one share of the house and rents the other of the council.

Back