Affordable Housing Dublin

JohnJay

Well, at last I almost have everything together for my applications. I sent off my DCC application yesterday and am just waiting for a bank statement to send with the other 2 (Fingal and SDCC)

I am not holding out much hope for DCC. I live outside the area , and from what I see that makes it hopeless. I also earn a mere 33k a year, so I don’t think I could afford "Affordable Housing"! I know myself that I could easily pay repayments of a €250k mortgage, but it wouldn’t fit in the "35% of Nett income" rule.

Some of the properties on SDCC's website (www.propertypath.ie) look very nice, but I think its out of date. I know for example that the properties they have in Lucan were built and finished a few months ago, so I imagine they are already gone. I took a drive out around Belfry in Tallaght (sorry, "Citywest" :-D) and Belgard Square last week. I'd certainly not say "no" to either of these - though I get the feeling I missed the boat on them.

Everyone tells me that Fingal are the easiest to get a place from. Although Balbriggan and Lusk are both nice towns, I just don’t think I would live that far out - where I work would mean at least 3 hours commute every day, and I just don’t think I could handle that long-term. They do have the odd property available in Dublin 15, Swords, Portmarnock, Baldoyle etc - but I'd say there are as hard to get as hens-teeth. There is talks of this whole Meakstown thing - I haven’t looked out there yet, but from what I read it seems very good - I was sceptical originally, but other sites have set me right on that!

So all I can do is sit-and-wait. If there is anyone else in the same boat, I would love to hear from them. Or if there is anyone in a more advanced stage than me. And of course I would be very happy to hear from anyone who already has a "Happy Ending"

Re: Affordable Housing

Sorry john jay not very experienced with this myself. my girlfriend went through the process in north east of ireland recently. the max she could get was 160k for affordable housing and there was nothing available for this ( bar a real dump in a very very bad estate) . the application was easy, being approved is relatively simple but actually getting a house i think thats where it all gos wrong. aswell as that i thought is was working out as difficult to pay back with the rent being quite expensive and a mortgage to pay too. maybe im not fully up to speed on the scheme. she went to see the local councillor also an auctioneer said he was lovely but was a complete waste of time.

Hi, my friend recently did this and she actually has got herself a place in The Belfry which is lovely. She literally applied in Jan and she got her keys last week (she applied in Jan for the affordable housing but only picked out her house 11 weeks ago).

She went through Property Path.

The scheme the mentioned in the post above is the shared ownership scheme which is totally different to affordable housing.

I think SDCC is going to issue a magazine every month to those that have applied for the affordable housing outlining which developments are coming up. You don't really have a choice as in you can't go to real estate agents pick out a house then go to the Co Council they let you know which ones you are able to go for.

My friend literally got a letter on Mon saying she could pick between Belfry, Citywest
I can't think of the other 2 scheme names but one was in Lucan and one was Clondalkin and she just had to turn up to one of these and put her name down (well actually it turned out that she had to camp out for it)

But in the end she has a beautiful apartment in what we hope is a nice area!

I hope this helps or at least lets you know that there are happy endings (fingers crossed)

JohnJay said:
Everyone tells me that Fingal are the easiest to get a place from.

Well since south-siders won't move northside (in fact I know a few who aside from the airport have never been anywhere north of the city) it is usually much easier to get something out there. Traffic less chronic and good facilities out around Blanch/Swords.

Samson26 said:
Hi, my friend recently did this and she actually has got herself a place in The Belfry which is lovely. She literally applied in Jan and she got her keys last week (she applied in Jan for the affordable housing but only picked out her house 11 weeks ago).

Thanks for that Samson - its great to hear some good news from the scheme. The Belfry seems very nice, though I think at this stage all the affordable houses available in that development are more or less allocated, though I hope something equally as nice will show up for me. Application will be in the post tomorrow...

lff12 said:
Well since south-siders won't move northside (in fact I know a few who aside from the airport have never been anywhere north of the city) it is usually much easier to get something out there. Traffic less chronic and good facilities out around Blanch/Swords.

I dont care where I live, North, South, East, or West. As long as its reasonably close the the city and a fairly ok area. I dont mind what my address will be!

Fingal are saying on their website that they will have places available in Swords. Anyone got any idea where? The only big development I can see going on close to Swords is Goreshill

Back