affordable housing after signing joint morgage with my brother

adm2006

I , rather naively, signed a joint mortgage with my brother a couple of years back - i have paid nothing at all towards the property.

I applied for the affordable housing scheme and was accepted (his house was not on the affordable scheme).
I'm now in the lottery for an appartment.
He will remove my name from the mortgage.

My problems will arise i suspect when it comes to applying for a mortgage.
Presumably the banks will share details of mortgages - is this also true of dublin c council?

I didn't even know about tax relief at source so i thought if i didn't apply for morgage relief then perhaps i might be ok.
Is there anything i can do at all or am i screwed basically?
I certainly cannot afford anything if its not on affordable scheme.
I'm feeling a bit dissappointed by the whole thing.

AS A SIDE NOTE:
The appartments i have applied for at cost price are all around 200000 euro for a 2 bed.when i checked online for the actual sale price of (preumably) the same appartment(same development) they were over 450000?
Can this be true. more that twice the cost price??

did you sign a joint mortgage or purchase a house together? the answer will make a difference

A friend of mine purchased a property through this scheme for approx €180k and it was valued at €360k, my brother-in-law got one as well and his was 210k but valued at 450k so it is more than likely possible that your apt could be valued as you said, the only thing is that you will owe the Co Council a higher percentage rate when it comes to the clawback.

As for the mortgage thing I'm not sure about that - sorry!

The scheme is for people who have not previously owned a house. (exceptions can be made in some instances after marriage breakdown in the ex stays in the family home). You had to declare on the application form if you previously owned a house.

Back