Aer Lingus- Tricksters.

Odea

Yesterday I was pricing flights to Marseille with Aer Lingus for next May. They were coming in at €9.99 plus taxes. Outwards taxes were €36 and on the way back €34.
Today Aer Lingus have announced a summer sale of 25% off. I assumed therefore that the €9.99 flight price would be reduced by 25%. Not at all.
Today they have increased the flight price to €13.99 and then reduced this higher fare by the 25% summer sale.

The nett effect is an actual increase in the cost of the flight during their summer sale. It is now more expensive to fly in their summer sale than before it when there was no sale.

The prices of flights change all the time and there are often only a couple of seats available at a particular price, especially the very low prices. Checking flights for particular times and days show web operators where there is a demand and they will adjust their prices accordingly. It's annoying, but that's the way low-cost airlines work - if you get a good price and don't book it immediately there's a very high likelihood that it won't be available a couple of hours later.

I have to agree with Odea. I priced return flights dublin to Barcelona, returning on 18 march - €46.99 for Barcelona to Dublin journey. 1 way flight from Barcelona to Dublin (18 march) €35.99. So it is cheaper to book each leg of the journey seperate.

Janet. I should have said that I had been monitoring flights to Marseille for some time at €9.99 for the month of May. I knew that a "summer sale" was on the way so I held off making a booking. I wasn't expecting them to put up the prices as the sale was announced and then pretend to be reducing them.

Janet. I should have said that I had been monitoring flights to Marseille for some time at €9.99 for the month of May. I knew that a "summer sale" was on the way so I held off making a booking. I wasn't expecting them to put up the prices as the sale was announced and then pretend to be reducing them.

What were you hoping to save...€5?

Am I missing something OP? You saw flights to France for €9.99 and held off booking because a sale was coming up? Did you really think you could get all the way to Marseille for less than that?

No. I was hoping to save more than that.

But if Aer Lingus had just applied their 25% offer to those €9.99 each way flights, that's what you would have saved...€5.

I don't understand what you were hoping to achieve?

I'm with Odea on this one. Maybe the saving was more than €5 maybe he was purchasing more than one ticket? The fact that Aer Lingus can have flights at €9.99 on the 2nd March. Then on the 3rd March they are €13.99. Then on the same day they announce a summer sale of 25% off that effectively brings the price back down to almost the original pre sale price..... stinks.

Am I missing something OP? You saw flights to France for €9.99 and held off booking because a sale was coming up? Did you really think you could get all the way to Marseille for less than that?

Well I was expecting their sale as well but I was expecting a 50% off sale. Normally it is 25% and then it goes to 50% to mop up the remaining seats.
What is wrong with saving €5 or €10 for two people anyhow?

Shesells in another thread you say you save "airmiles" but it is hardly worth the bother. Why do you bother?

I have had wonderful trips courtesy of my airmiles, that's why I bother! Not on Aer Lingus though

"People need to fight back when these clowns try and shaft them".
Gekko. This is what you posted in a thread about Ryanair. Do you not think that you should have the same attitude to Aer Lingus when they try to shaft people...even if it is only for €5?

The Celtic Tiger still lives on, cannot believe that some people are questioning the fact that someone is trying to maximise their savings for a transaction.

Not only do you get the best price by doing this but equally importantly you rewards the person/company that is most efficient at delivering the product/service.

Hope you get your cheap flights to Marseille Odea and have a great time. When you are on the plane imagine SeShells on one side and Gecko on the other and both having paid more for the privilege of sitting beside you. If you are feeling unselfish you might also use the time to instruct them on obtaining the best bargain available.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hope you get your cheap flights to Marseille Odea and have a great time. When you are on the plane imagine SeShells on one side and Gecko on the other and both having paid more for the privilege of sitting beside you. If you are feeling unselfish you might also use the time to instruct them on obtaining the best bargain available.

Good luck.

Trust me, you'll never find me on an AL plane. And if I'm flying, I'm probably flying for free on my miles ;)

Trust me, you'll never find me on an AL plane. And if I'm flying, I'm probably flying for free on my miles ;)

Well fools and their money are easily parted. I have a friend who will only travel Air France at hugely inflated prices. I remember on one occasion a few years back that we were both going to the same destination, Nice. He paid about €600 for his flights and I paid about €100 with Ryanair.
Of course he was able to tell everyone at his candlelit suppers that he would only travel Air France because they were such a wonderful airline and he thought it great value and a privilege to fly with them.

Of course he was able to tell everyone at his candlelit suppers that he would only travel Air France because they were such a wonderful airline and he thought it great value and a privilege to fly with them.
Or tell everyone about their free air miles......

Yesterday I was pricing flights to Marseille with Aer Lingus for next May. They were coming in at €9.99 plus taxes. Outwards taxes were €36 and on the way back €34.

Based on these prices I cannot see how anyone would expect prices to be less than that. That is a complete and utter bargain for a flight to Marseille.

The new fare of 13.99 X 25% 3.49 = 10.50 The new fare is the princely sum of 50 cent more. And it's still a bargain.

Aer Lingus flights in my experience start off cheaply and slowly increase as the seats get booked. So it's best to purchase from them in advance.

It is actually quite disgraceful. I booked for my niece, her OH and their two kids from Dublin to Nice at the end of June at the beginning of January. Not cheap, but at least got the flights we wanted. It cost 1067.00 incl taxes. When I saw this thread about the sales, I was interested to see what it would cost with 25% off. Total is 1,354.00 (I've rounded up both figures). That's a hefty 25% + rather than minus.

@Laramie - your friend is French, right? No other excuse!!

It is actually quite disgraceful. That's a hefty 25% + rather than minus.

@Laramie - your friend is French, right? No other excuse!!

You cannot compare the price you paid in January with the price of flights now in March.

Re the French, they will fight over a cent, never mind a fiver. Very thrifty race.

Back