Advice re social welfare entitlements for my brother?

lorr01

hi

Im posting this on behalf of my brother, he has just finish his final 8th blackhall exam since sept and is currently looking for work but not having any luck yet!!, now he sat an exam back in March/April and then he went travelling for 6 months and is at home now since sept, now while he is waiting for a job to come throught is there anything he can claim from social welfare and how long would it take before he gets anything please and thanks....

How long is a piece of string? your question is vague in that it doesn't say if at 'home' means he is living with his parents or living independently. This will make a difference as regards any social welfare payments.

Has he completed his studies? Is he still registered as a student? If he is still registered, then he's not entitled to sign on.

If he has finished his course/degree/exams, then he can make a claim for Jobseeker's Allowance at the nearest SW office.
If he's under 25, he will be assessed on his parents income.
There is a backlog on processing claims at the moment, I've just read a post here from someone waiting 11 weeks so far, so payment (if entitled) will take time.
He could make a claim for SWA at the local Health Centre while waiting for Jobseeker's - it will be means tested as well, so he'll have to produce evidence of parents income to the CWO as well as the SW office.

gippiman,

thanks very much for your help i will tell him that, thank you..

lorr

Back