Advice on where to buy in Dublin?

Re: Advice on where to buy in Dublin???

Culchie said:
Inchicore, Rialto with all the upcoming investment and infrastructure improvements, would seem like an excellent choice.
Chapelizod is a village I like as well.

Theres a few previous discussions about Rialto\Inchicore you should read from people who actually live there.

e.g. http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=19497

SteelBlue05 said:
Theres a few previous discussions about Rialto\Inchicore you should read from people who actually live there.

e.g. http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=19497

You mean people like me who have lived there?

Like most areas in Dublin, there are some no go areas, even though they fall under the same 'address'.

The large investment in the area will help things improve, as will the improved transport.

Culchie said:
You mean people like me who have lived there?

Like most areas in Dublin, there are some no go areas, even though they fall under the same 'address'.

The large investment in the area will help things improve, as will the improved transport.

Well having lived in Inchicore for a few years myself I just wanted to give a balanced view, its far from an "excellent area". Its a good location etc but anyone thinking about buying there should do their homework.

I agree with Cultchie. I suspect Mr Steelblue has been very unlucky.
Very much depends which part you live in. There will always be areas within areas to avoid in the city. There are lots of lovely residential areas in Inchicore/ South circular road, and there are bad areas by the flats of course....Be sensible, look around and you'll see the where are good and where are bad. Prices of property usually accounts for this.

Sunster said:
I agree with Cultchie. I suspect Mr Steelblue has been very unlucky.
Very much depends which part you live in. There will always be areas within areas to avoid in the city. There are lots of lovely residential areas in Inchicore/ South circular road, and there are bad areas by the flats of course....Be sensible, look around and you'll see the where are good and where are bad. Prices of property usually accounts for this.

I used to live on Tyrconnell rd, I dont think I was necessarily unlucky, I would say that over a 2.5 year period I got to know the place quite well. All I am saying is that its not an "exellent area". South Circular Rd is nice, but thats not in Inchicore.

Where are the lovely residential areas in Inchicore? I must have missed them?!

SteelBlue05 said:
I used to live on Tyrconnell rd, I dont think I was necessarily unlucky, I would say that over a 2.5 year period I got to know the place quite well. All I am saying is that its not an "exellent area". South Circular Rd is nice, but thats not in Inchicore.

Where are the lovely residential areas in Inchicore? I must have missed them?!

The original poster was looking for 'up and coming areas'.

IMO ... Rialto/Inchicore/South Circular/Kilmainham/Chapelizod are exactly that.... Up and Coming areas ... due to recently improved investment and infrastructure.

If they were 'excellent areas' already, then they wouldn't answer the OP's question would they?

I think you're just having an argument for the sake of it.

Its just a discussion, not an arguement...

There are lots of newish townhouse developments around Inchicore. Tyrconnell Rd is certainly die hard Inchicore. I've friends living in Jamestown square and also off Anner road and they are very happy there. Admittedly the face of Inchicore is changing rapidly and that can only be a positive thing, and very up and coming.

Sunster said:
Tyrconnell Rd is certainly die hard Inchicore.

Tyrconnel Rd is the main part of Inchicore, its the main road running through the centre of it.

Well aware of that, thats what I was implying. where do u live now?

Sunster said:
Well aware of that, thats what I was implying. where do u live now?

Suburbia....Lucan...

You should try looking closer to Liffey Valley......Up and coming around Adamstown but prob best avoid Adamstown.....but the areas surrounding it are expected to shoot up when the train station opens.......There is a nice new developement across the road called Hansted -close to lots of road networks and M50. You should get a nice 3 bed there for under 4ook!

i agree with culchie anywhre inside the m50 its a brickwall of traffic - I should know i lived in blanch for a while and it nearly drove me demented getting into town every morning- i think as a general rule of thumb the closer to town the better the investment but the problem is the houses are generally not as big/nice so its a trade off-its down to personal choice really I live in finglas myself and I love it-nice house in a nice estate-close to town and handy for shopping.

Hi all,
thanks for all your advice. The areas that you have mentioned, Inchicore, Chapelizod, Lucan, I have been looking around.
I like Lucan particularly around the village; was looking around Finnstown, but a lot of the houses seem to be rented in places like Silverberry due to the number of cars around at night. Any opinion on what the nicer newish estates around Lucan are? The train going in at Adamstown must a big plus for that area. And they seems to be doing a lot of work with the road infrastructure around there.
Any opinions?

MollieK said:
Hi all,
thanks for all your advice. The areas that you have mentioned, Inchicore, Chapelizod, Lucan, I have been looking around.
I like Lucan particularly around the village; was looking around Finnstown, but a lot of the houses seem to be rented in places like Silverberry due to the number of cars around at night. Any opinion on what the nicer newish estates around Lucan are? The train going in at Adamstown must a big plus for that area. And they seems to be doing a lot of work with the road infrastructure around there.
Any opinions?

Dont know what your budget is but there is a 3 bed semi in Elmbrook Walk in Lucan (430k, attic conversion up'd the price a bit). Thats a good established estate, vast majority is owner occupied.

Mollie, I would suggest one thing to you.

Go to Lucan Village and leave there at 8am or so, and travel to your workplace in Sandyford, also when you've finished work in the evening, drive back to Lucan...do that for a week, afterall you intend to live there.
Then factor in the M50 roadworks that are commencing soon.

Do that this week, otherwise you'll get a false idea when the school holidays kick in.

That is excellent advice for anyone want to live near and requiring the M50 to commute to work

Good advice about trying out the commute before purchasing. Thanks for that.
Bray, eh? Any particular areas to target (or to avoid)?
Keep the advice rolling in. It is proving to be invaluable. Thanks to all the contributors.

Back