Advice on Tralee as a place to live.

A

antrimboy

I have a job oppurtunity in Tralee. I have never been there before and was wondering what it would be like to live there. Or somewhere within a 45 minute commute to Tralee. Ideally a small town or village. Should be suitable to bring up a young family.

45 minutes from Tralee is a very big net! Anywhere from Ballybunion to Killarney to Dingle etc.

I like Tralee as a town. Lots of amenities, all the main shops, it's a clean town and growing. Not much crime from what I know- despite it being the capital town. It has the usual late night assaults when people are drunk but all in all it's a safe town. Some very nice restaurants, pubs, cinema, theatre, waterworld etc.

It has an excellent IT, both a public and private hospital, rail links and is only about 15 minutes drive from Kerry International Airport. Both Cork and Limerick are about an hour and a half drive.

If you prefer to live in a small town or village to start off with maybe renting would be the best way to go until you find your feet and decide where works best for you. Is your OH a stay at home mom/dad and what would they like to have available for them during the day while you work?
Tell us a little more about what you would like and maybe someone can recommend a town for you to rent in to start off with?

As said Tralee has loads of facilities and schools too.Also a large swimming pool and clubs there for all sorts of activities. Shopping is good in the main town and also a bit out there is a Shopping centre.Loads of houses are available there too.Killarney is very pretty and also has a good share of facilities but pool etc is yet to be developed.People use hotel ones.Main thing about Killarney is it is expensive housewise.

Smaller towns/villages that are getting popular are Killorglin,Lixnaw & Ballyheigue.All would be circa 30 mins to airport.They are more rural,so way less facilities.I think you need to take a trip down and drive around.Really depends what you want.

Back