Advice on Tallaght Estate Agent

R

RosieP

Hi,

I'm thinking of selling my apartment in Tallaght. I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on estate agents in the area.

Any help much appreciated.

Hi Rosie, welcome to AAM. There are a few threads on EA'S in Tallaght here. I'm not sure how to link them but if you use the search facility you should find some useful information.

We went with Tom Maher and I can't recommend him enough. He came around to talk to us himself and was very pleasant. I never had any problems trying to contact him or the office (unlike alot of other agents who are hard to track down!). They took several very good photos for the brochure and myhome.ie which I think is quite important. Our apartment was only on the market a week when we went sale agreed at €10K more than the asking price.

Unfortunately the estate agent we are buying from is not so professional or organised but that's a different story!

Pat Garvey with Remax advantage based in Lucan is excellent. he deals in every area but hes very easy to deal with, extremely helpful and really works with you to get what you want.pone him on 0871360139. a nice down to earth Dublin guy.

Hey Rosie....

I've both bought and sold a house in Tallaght using Tom Maher....15 years ago in fairness but I found him excellent. It's not a co-incidence that he's still in business and still in the same area for the last 20 - 30 years !

r2d2

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosie,
I know its not the answer you are looking for but......Sell your apartment yourself and save the thousand or two you would be giving to an estate agent.
I have done it with 2 properties myself and saved at least 4k
Tips below:

Get a "for sale" sign made (signsexpress-Tallaght) for 25 euro with brief description of apt. and contact phone number.They will do 2 colours .

Take digitial photos from all corners of rooms and advertise on any number of websites (alot easier than you think)

Anyone that rings tell them when you are viewing (I always done viewings sat morning between 10am - 1pm) and give indication of the price you are looking for .Take their names aswell as I find it is nice to greet when they knock at your door.

Anyone intersted in the purchase tell them your solicitors name & address and tell them you want a deposit of around 10% or whatever your happy with. Tell them to get deposit to your solicitor A.S.A.P to secure , this will then give you some security that they wont back out.
Your Solicitor will then draw up a contract using their deposit and hey presto your done.

Estate Agents are not a necessity and have no legal requirement to be involved for the sale or purchase of any home.
All estate agent will do is exactly what you would and that is tell a buyer your solicitors name etc.

Hope this Helps ;)

L.

Hi RosieP,

I would echo the other posters and recommend Tom Maher.......I bought a house outside of the tallaght area a number of years ago from him and found him very professional to deal with.

I would stay clear of remax I had a disasterous experience with remax when trying to sell my house and had to change agents in the end.

Good luck!

From a buyer’s perspective I can’t agree with Tom Maher recommendations. I had a nightmare with him as did a friend and two work colleagues.
On three different properties I was interested in he set viewing times at 5.30pm and would not accommodate any other time. Viewings at 5.30pm obviously don’t suit the vast majority of working people so I ended up leaving work early and sitting in terrible traffic for over an hour to make the viewings.
Without going into too much detail, the man himself rang me THREE times within an hour of Brian Cowen’s scrapping of stamp duty under 317,500 in the 2004 Budget. He told me as a first time buyer I should have ‘lots more money now’ and presumed I’d substantially increase my current offer on one property accordingly.
I ended up consciously avoiding all properties for sale via Tom Maher and bought my home from another agent.
Obviously you are selling so you want people bidding with endless pressurised phone calls but I know I’m not the only buyer to actively avoid dealing with this agent.

I have to agree with reds about Tom Maher's attitude to buyers.
I found him very rude and will not deal with him when I sell my current house (I eventually bought through another agent in the tallaght area)

When I did view a house through his agency, I offerred below the asking price because that house was in a complete state of disrepair. It had being rented out and needed to be gutted. The offer was refused ( well I assume that is what he meant to convey when he hung up on me)
Then a few weeks later, he phoned back to say the price had being reduced (to the price I offered)
At that stage , I had found another house in the same area, which had the same initial asking price as the first house. And was in a much better state of repair.
I told him I wasn't interested and he again hung up.

So he might have being in business for X number of years, but it hasn't exactly breing hard to sell house lately. However, since the 'experts' view is that it's moving from a sellers market to a buyers market, I would be wary of an agency who is going to treat your customers like that.

Blinder you made my point exactly. Your experience is one of similar of I've heard with that agent.
There are 15 pages of properties for sale in the Tallaght area on myhome.ie.
Methinks Mr Maher will have to start extending the charm he oozes to sellers to the dwindling potential buyers out there.

Hey all....As I said earlier, it's 15 years since I dealt with TM so maybe things have changed...The point I made re; how long he has been in business here is still valid though in that although the housing market has been so vibrant he's had increased competition with the likes of Sherry Fitz, Re-Max and DNG coming into the area.....

My next door neighbour's house was 'sale agreed' through an EA from Newbridge...Sale fell through and apparently they were less than impressed with the Newbridge EA...They handed things over to TM a fortnight ago....Will ask them tomorrow for their thoughts and revert !

r2d2

We sold our house very recently in just 3 weeks with DNG in Tallaght, I found them good I have to say and professional in their dealings. We also didn't want a sign up outside and never received any pressure from them to persuade us otherwise. I did get Castle Estate Agents out to the house to valuate and to be honest I'd stay clear of them as they've funny/unusual sales tactics and came across unprofessional IMHO. We bought a house from Sherry Fitz in Tallaght and dealt with a lovely guy in there too and also professional, I also saw that they have special introductory fees at the moment.

I would strongly recommend Tom Maher for selling your house. He knows the area very well and gareenteed he will get the best price for it.

Wouldnt go with him if possible when buying. !!!!!!!!!!

I would echo concerns about Tom Maher. Was buying a house 2 years ago a popped in to the office on a saturday morning I think. I asked could I view a house. He looked me up and down and more or less said are you sure you could afford it. Then told me to call back later when he would tell me when I could view it if I was still interested. I didn't call back but it killed me when I had to buy another house which my wife really wanted off him. Again I found the process of actually bidding for the house a nightmare.

He wanted a fax confirming our bid which I sent. Then said this wasn't good enough and that it had to be sent from my solicitor etc.

Other stories I have heard are slightly disturbing in that the price he quotes are too excessive for any interest to be shown on house and he then advises the seller to sell at a much lower price and lo and behold he buys the house himself.

Friend of mine went to buy some land, he asked the seller how much he wanted. Was told to go through the agent but when he actually enquired with Maher he was told he had no land on his books??

He looked me up and down and more or less said are you sure you could afford it.

He did exactly the same to me 6 years ago, even wanted to see my mortgage approval because he didn't think I could afford the properties. I was pretty young at the time so that's probably why he was like that.

I can safely say I don't think I've ever met a ruder person in my life.

Reading this thread with interest. Maybe someone could offer some advice please. Our house has been on the market for a considerable amount of time in the Tallaght area with a certain estate agent. Cut a long story short we are looking at switching estate agents as we are getting no joy out of the current ones.

Tom Maher is one that I will be checking out though mixed reactions about him on this thread. Anyone have opinions on Remax, Lowe??? Anyone else??

Any input very much appreciated.

Edit: Just saw this thread was from 2006!!!! Did a search on tallaght agents and this one came up!!

>Matt2003
>Iwould strongly recommend Tom Maher for selling your house. He knows the area very well and gareenteed he will get the best price for it.
>Wouldnt go with him if possible when buying. !!!!!!!!!

You hit the nail on the head there, believe me!

Disband De GAA

Back