Advice on making voluntary UK NI contributions

Does anyone know if you can make additional contributions if you've already retired?
My mother receives a partial UK state pension. She wasn't aware that she could have made additional NICs to increase it. She was born before 5th April 1953 if it makes any difference.

If you ring them up, they will send it out. You can't obtain it online without a UK address
They told me they couldn't post it either this is my second time phoning and asking same question. I worked short time 4 yrs 87 to 1990. They suggested just fill out vol ni form asap

They told me they couldn't post it either this is my second time phoning and asking same question. I worked short time 4 yrs 87 to 1990. They suggested just fill out vol ni form asap
All I know is they posted mine out to me 2 months ago once I told them I lived in the ROI and couldn't access it online.

Does anyone know if you can make additional contributions if you've already retired?
My mother receives a partial UK state pension. She wasn't aware that she could have made additional NICs to increase it. She was born before 5th April 1953 if it makes any difference.
You can pay voluntary contributions for up to 6 years after reaching your UK state retirement date, however, you will only get the Class 3 rate, not the cheaper Class 2.

It shouldn't be a problem if you have your UK NI number and last address.
Thanks NoRegretsCoyote, My last address threre was in dec 1990. I was told I would have to get the irish pensions section to request my N.I. Record from HRMS this must be inaccurate as Im 7 yrs away from the now uk pension age.

Thanks NoRegretsCoyote, My last address threre was in dec 1990.
Try sending them form NI38 and put in as much detail as you have (all UK addresses you ever had, NI number, etc) if you have it.

It seems a bit odd that they won't supply to a client directly once they've made a reasonable attempt to establish who they are.

Try sending them form NI38 and put in as much detail as you have (all UK addresses you ever had, NI number, etc) if you have it.

It seems a bit odd that they won't supply to a client directly once they've made a reasonable attempt to establish who they are.
Thanks NoRegretsCoyote, I will do that. I have N.I. number and an address. I am in the process of completing the form and hopefully can pay NIC 2 for some of the years at least. Thanks everyone its good to be able to ask questions on this site.

Back