Advice on Log Saw and Splitters

Ruam

My brother has to clear a site of almost an acre of conifers trees (no hardword) and was looking for advice on whether it was feasible to purchase a log saw and log splitter to clear the site himself. He is willing to take a few months clearing the site.

I have searched the internet and see plenty of products but am looking for advice from anyone who has expertise in the area.

I seen some great machinery at the Tullamore show earlier this year that could cut and split timber. These machines were quite expensive from an investment point of view but I believe they could also be rented for a period of time. Some of this machinery costs are in 5 figure somes so your brother needs to weigh up the costs / Return in investment.

He needs to ensure that he knows of the complications and dangers of such a task. There really is little point in acting the Mick Macho and then causing himself a severe injury for the sake of saving a few bob. There are plenty of blokes out there (working for Coillte or the ESB) that have machinery that would have the job done very quickly

Tree felling is a dangerous task.. if he is no experience of tree felling or that type of equipment, then safer regardless of savings to get an insured fully competent person to do it for him.

Have been further thinking on this post. Why doesn't the OP state what part of the country he is in / the land is and other posters might be able to offer names of competent and insured contractors.

Tree felling is a dangerous task.. if he is no experience of tree felling or that type of equipment, then safer regardless of savings to get an insured fully competent person to do it for him.

He is very safety conscious and has been cutting trees for years and has all the safety gear. He has a number of chainsaws which he used regularily but was wondering about log saws and log splitters

Have been further thinking on this post. Why doesn't the OP state what part of the country he is in / the land is and other posters might be able to offer names of competent and insured contractors.

He lives just outside Castlebar in Mayo and the site is there too.

Do they do replacement Artificial Limbs as well.

Every power tool, and indeed, most hand tools have an inherent risk in their use. However, to be on sale within Europe, they must be perfectly safe so long as used in accordance with the instructions and the neccessary precautions are observed. Legislation requires it.
Leo

Every power tool, and indeed, most hand tools have an inherent risk in their use. However, to be on sale within Europe, they must be perfectly safe so long as used in accordance with the instructions and the neccessary precautions are observed. Legislation requires it.
Leo

Leo unfortunately, even following the instructions, accidents happen and people get hurt, maimed or killed using equipment which they have no experience or training in using.

Mercman while a little flippant (maybe) in his reply is inherently correct. OP does say the individual has experience tackling trees and their felling so while the risk remains the experience will allow for likely incidents that may arise. Same goes for the use of power equipment, just because something is certified and you can hire it doesn't mean it is safe for inexperienced users.

I have seen the tyype of accidents that can be caused. Whilst not a forrester, I own forestry and have many conversations with persons working in the business. And my wife's uncle worked in forestry for many years and had to retre due to an accident. So it really is not down to reading the instructions, it really is down to practice and knowing what to do and when and where to do it.

Log splitters are handy machines, tractor driven is the way to go. Conifers are easy split anyway. Don't know about a log saw, only use the chainsaw myself.
How many trees are there and how big? An acre of mature trees would be alot more than an acre of 10-15 year old trees....?
Good luck with the stumps too...

Log splitters are handy machines, tractor driven is the way to go. Conifers are easy split anyway. Don't know about a log saw, only use the chainsaw myself.
How many trees are there and how big? An acre of mature trees would be alot more than an acre of 10-15 year old trees....?
Good luck with the stumps too...

The trees are about twenty years old. He doesn't have a tractor. Are the electric log splitters any good?

Leo unfortunately, even following the instructions, accidents happen and people get hurt, maimed or killed using equipment which they have no experience or training in using.

I was agreeing with the fact that they are dangerous, but then, so is an axe, a hammer, etc.. Everything you do has an inherent danger, the key is to be aware of what they are and take the neccessary precautions. If you're not aware of what the dangers of a particular piece of machinery are, then you shouldn't use it.

Chainsaws are far more dangerous than log splitters. Controls on a log splitter are generally positioned in such a manner as to minimise or eliminate the chance of an operator's body part coming in contact with the business end.

The Log splitter shown on the link is fine for a guy that wants to split some logs for his own use but is too slow for commercial use / the volume that your brother requires.
As suggested in other posts contact Coillte for commericial logger splitters / saws advice
The type of log splitter your brother is after are usually powered from a tractor and the log is pushed into the machine where it cuts and splits the logs in seconds. The cutting and splitting happens within the machine and there are guards surrounding the entire operation so no hands / limbs are at risk.

The other thought I had, is there is noneed to consider a splitter at this stage. The wood has to be stored and dried before it is fit for the fire.

Drop the trees, clear the land and log the timber at a later stage, maybe during the summer of next year. It's great exercise with a good axe

Back