Advice on how to transfer shares in private company

Key

Ive done a search but it mainly deals with shares that are plcs or actually worth something.

I want to transfer 1 Ordinary share of €1 to someone else. The total issued share capital is only €2.

Can anyone advise how I go about this? I thought I had to register it with the CRO but looking at their website I dont think this is the case.

A plc is a public limited company whose shares are traded on an open exchange. Are you sure that you meant to use that term?

Yes I meant to use it but reading back I can see its unclear. I meant the searches I have carried out on this forum mainly deal with quoted shares and they are not relevant to this situation.

The shares requiring transfer are in a private limited company.

Depending on how you set up the company, it can be reasonably easy or reasonably difficult to do what you are doing.
If your company is registed as a single-member company (one shareholder), you need to convert the status to a 'multi-member' company. Unless you do this, any shares issued to another person are worthless. The conversion is reasonably simple, just a form to be signed, should be able to download from CRO
Assuming this is done, you can look at 'transferring shares' or issuing shares. If you want to split the share capital with another person as you seem to be intending, I think you are better off issuing this person with 2 new shares (so you each have 2 shares), rather than transferring 1 share.
I got my accountant to do this, and was completed very quickly with only a few things to sign.

Andrew

There is no form as such with the Companies Registration Office to complete a share transfer. Basically you will need to note it on page 3 of your next annual return (b1 form).
However you do need to notify revenue of any transfers. You will need to download an SD4 form from www.revenue.ie. Fill it out, and file it with the stamping section of revenue along with some prepared stock transfer forms. It will cost you €1 to file same. You could also get an accountant or a company formation agent to complete same.

Back