Advice on Employing Architects!

L

lorkel

Hi, I have noticed that there have been quite a few "architect" related posts in the past. I'm not an architect yet, however I am studying architecture and I just wanted to advise people that if you have any queries relating to hiring an architect or anything to do with a particular architect, the best place to direct your questions is to the professional body that governs the activities of qualified architects...the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland...their office is based in Merrion Square in Dublin however they also have a website - www.riai.ie

As far as I am aware, there is a problem in Ireland at present with people claiming to be architects without having the proper qualifications to back up their claims. In order to become an architect, one is required to obtain a Degree in Architecture which takes a minimum of 5 years... usually longer as students are advised to take a year out midway to gain work experience. Following the degree, one must gain work experience in an architectural firm before applying for membership of the RIAI, which requires further study and professional practice related examinations.

The road to becoming a qualified architect is long and stressful and I guarantee you that any architect that has reached the point where he/she is a member of the RIAI, will have all the necessary knowledge and experience to deliver a unique design solution that you will leave you in no doubt that you made the correct decision in hiring an architect.

Indeed, for some small construction jobs, one may think that they can get by quite happily without the input of an architect and fair enough if they are happy to go it alone, however, by choosing an architect, you will usually end up with something different...something special...usually something that is individual to your personal needs and tastes.

There are quite a few very talented architects working in Ireland today - some of whom I have met during the course of my studies so far and any of whom I would be happy to recommend, as I am confident that they deliver a top-class service!

All very good in theory but unfortunately one of the most obnoxious professionals I ever had to deal with was the architect who designed our current build. He had a waspish superior attitude. The house I wanted I KNOW he copied block for block for another client as he was stupid enough to send us and our building her drawings instead of ours. So so much for unique build. We had to sack him at foundations level which resulted in him sending in a HUGE bill with no explanation of work done. We tried to reason with him BUT his attitude was the bill is the bill its up to you to pay it or not legal route doesn't pay etc etc. I wanted to fight it but dh just wanted rid of him and we paid up.

The sad thing is this guy is a member of RIAI and quiet active within their ranks too.

I guarantee you that any architect that has reached the point where he/she is a member of the RIAI, will have all the necessary knowledge and experience to deliver a unique design solution.

however, by choosing an architect, you will usually end up with something different...something special...usually something that is individual to your personal needs and tastes.

Lorkel

With the greatest of respect, that's nonsense. Architects occupy the same planet as the rest of us with and, like all professions, can operate anywhere in the range from excellent to terrible.

The RIAI's recommended fees would indeed suggest that you could expect "something different, something special, something that is individual to your personal needs and tastes".

The reality, certainly for me and others I know personally, is that your architect may just as easily be a lazy, half-hearted, unethusiastic slogger who's utterly reliant on his computer software to put four walls together, never mind do something "special".

I'm not saying that any such geniuses exist but I suspect they're not involved at the kitchen extension end of the profession. To suggest that everyone the RIAI chucks out is equally blessed is just wrong. The same goes for any profession.

It must also be understood lorkel, that many of the questions aimed at 'architects' on this forum would actually be better answered by architectural technicians or construction professionals. If a specifically design or concept question is asked, i would always advise the poster to consult with a qualified architect, however many questions here are technically releated and better served being answered by architectural technicians.

This is due to a lack of understanding in the general public what the positions of architects and technicians are in the construction process.

I think questions releated to 'hiring an architect' can also be answered by either past clients or associated professionals, as answers directly from architects may be biased.

i dont agree with the generalisations in some of the above posts, i realise the amount of work and talent required to pass a 5 year architectural course.

However, like most professions there are bad apples, whos main aim is to extract as much money from clients as possible as well as supremely talented artistic architects. I find when the architect crosses over the line from being an interested artist, to being an under pressure businessman, that some professional codes are lost.

funny last night on 'room to improve' the architect Diarmuid Bannon hardly endeared himself to his clients by going AWOL! when he did turn up he was not exactly apologetic

I watched Dermot Bannon last night and found him arrogant, obnoxious and so full of himself. I know I could have switched it off...:)

I watched Dermot Bannon last night and found him arrogant, obnoxious and so full of himself. I know I could have switched it off...:)

I don't get the point of this programme to be honest. It's certainly not informative and seems to exist only to promote the host's architectural skills over which I think the viewer is expected to swoon.

it doesn't offer suggestions or throw out ideas in the same way that Duncan Stewart's did.

I have had the same experiences that Mummol has had, extortionate money for a plan they had in their bank of plans. I wanted an original home based on a simple "L" shaped design and he could not deliver. Sacked him and then had exactly the same experience with another.

Gave up in the end and bought my plans online for a fraction of the price and with a few modifications it was the house I wanted the architects to draw up for me.

I know like all trades there is good and bad but I am put off for life by the arrogance of most that I have dealt with and balls of them to present me a invoice for over €3k for 1 20 minute consultation and a pre made drawing that was nothing like I wanted. I even gave them a 3d image that I drawn up in house designer and yet they did not deliver!

My final comment is that on the other hand all the engineers I have had dealings with were a pleasure! Why is that?

Sorry if this is the wrong spot but we need advice on employing an architect! Basically we want to demolish our delapidated 50 yr old detached house on a corner site in Dublin 14 and replace it with two new semi detached houses, live in one and sell the other to help finance our new semi of about 1600sq ft.Planning not a likely problem. Need initial ideas, broad costs of project from an architect. Ultimately if project financially feasible architect all the way through drawings,spec, project management and sign off. Any tips on initial approach to architects and also costs. Any recommendations for architects in south dublin. How have others gone about choosing an architect.I assume that an architect rather than an architectural technician would be most suitable for our project? All help appreciated as we have no knowledge of building.Would hope to avoid some of the arrrogant architects mentioned in earlier posts.

Eamon Weber in Rathgar designed my extension in d14 a few years ago and did an excellent job, very reasonable too.

Sorry if this is the wrong spot but we need advice on employing an architect! Basically we want to demolish our delapidated 50 yr old detached house on a corner site in Dublin 14 and replace it with two new semi detached houses, live in one and sell the other to help finance our new semi of about 1600sq ft.Planning not a likely problem. Need initial ideas, broad costs of project from an architect. Ultimately if project financially feasible architect all the way through drawings,spec, project management and sign off. Any tips on initial approach to architects and also costs. Any recommendations for architects in south dublin. How have others gone about choosing an architect.I assume that an architect rather than an architectural technician would be most suitable for our project? All help appreciated as we have no knowledge of building.Would hope to avoid some of the arrrogant architects mentioned in earlier posts.

IMHO, you're better off deciding yourself on the design/interior layout of a house. Ther are a number of books in Easons and elsewhere that provide readymade options (which is probably what an architect will rely on anyway). You could then get an architect, if you wish, to do the technical drawings and advise on whether or not it's feasible given the area involved and the likely attitude of the planning authority. There are some architects who will provide this service for a fixed fee which, I believe, is more transparent that percentage based fees recommended by the RIAI. Eamonn Weber is one such architect. This approach would probably cost a couple of grand to planning but would not commit you any further should you not want to proceed to building.

After that, you can approach builders with the plans to get a price. If you choose one, you could then employ the same architect to inspect the project from time to time to ensure complaince with the plans. Again, some will charge a fee for each inspection rather than a percentage of building cost.

Back