Advice on dealing with possible cyber squatter

Silica

I discovered yesterday that someone else has registered the .com and .org.uk domain names for my new company name

I had been waiting for the documentation to register the .ie name, and hadn't realised there were people out there who spot new company registrations (ours was a couple of weeks ago), and register domain names, presumably with a view to selling them to you at profit.

It will be an online trading business, so obviously the website and domain names are important -- but there is a fallback option, with a trading name.

As you can see, I'm new to this business (!) and any advice would be really appreciated, as we've just commissioned someone to start work on the website, and on logo, so we need to decide on names ASAP.

As always, your help appreciated, and thanks.

Towger, I presume you mean change the web name we use, and not the company name?

Website name, all it needs is a small change such as adding a '-'. If you dont show any interest to the squatter changes are you will be able to get the name back next year when it expires.

Silica - how did you discover this - was it by email?

If so, there is a fairly common scam in existence and I would ignore it.

Thanks Caveat, no -- discovered it when I went to register a load of URLs and saw that the .com and .org.uk ones were gone, and sure enough they now point to a holding page. Which wasn't there a couple of weeks ago, before we registered the company. (hangs head in naivety and shame!)

Back